Author Topic: Handheld question  (Read 3349 times)

W3KIT

Handheld question
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »
Hello there,

DE W3KIT/HS0ZGP

Sorry for posting this twice (on the other thread)... at any rate, here it goes.

I will be in Bangkok between December 27,2008 to January 24, 2009. I was wondering if there any restriction on importing a handheld (Yaesu VX-7R quad band) for my personal use while I am in Thailand.

By the way, I can read Thai

Offline HS0ZED

Re: Handheld question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »
From what I know the VX-7 covers bands which are not allocated in Thailand for ham use. As such you would likely not be able to get an import license or pass type approval. 2 metres and CB(245MHz) are the only bands which you are likely to find hand helds for and  would suggest buying here as they are cheap enough. Even a 2 metre only hand held if from US would not be legally importable here as its coverage is outside of the permitted 144-146 range.

Martin, HS0ZED currently /A6

W3KIT

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:46:28 PM »
From what I know the VX-7 covers bands which are not allocated in Thailand for ham use. As such you would likely not be able to get an import license or pass type approval. 2 metres and CB(245MHz) are the only bands which you are likely to find hand helds for and  would suggest buying here as they are cheap enough. Even a 2 metre only hand held if from US would not be legally importable here as its coverage is outside of the permitted 144-146 range.

Martin, HS0ZED currently /A6

Martin,

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have some links to HAM shop in Thailand? I guess buying the rig there is probably the best way to go.

Again thanks and 73

W3KIT/HS0ZGP

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »
Hi,

Down in the Ban Mo area of Chinatown there are several shops that sell handhelds and mobile 2m rigs. One of the biggest retailers looks like Kwang which is on the corner of a crossroads junction just outside the Old Siam theatre (now a shopping mall). You can't miss the place it is bright orange!

They also have a shop in Zeer Rangsit just north of the old Don Mueang airport which is handier for me and better than fighting traffic in Chinatown, and maybe others too.

Martin, HS0ZED