Author Topic: Soem QRP links  (Read 2778 times)

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
Soem QRP links
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »
The audible difference between a 5 W and a 100 W  CW signal is not that huge.

One of my first CW QSOs was with tom www.qsl.net/dl2hrf who worked me using both, his Icom 730 (?) and his SW+. The SW+ costs with enclosure and DX shiping about THB 3,500. Just the main board about THB 1,900 http://www.smallwonderlabs.com this kit is described in depth in a book (QRP Power? it is large and blue and from the ARRL). So I had the opportunity to hear two transceivers. Guess which one sounded a lot better and cleaner? the SW+!

At the time, I was using the K1-4 with ATU from www.elecraft.com Hanging a dipole out of the first floor window, it almost touched the lawn. But not even using the full power, I worked Turkey, Russia and 30 other countries on 40 m and never had a QRP problem. The "K1 can be set down to a 200 Hz filter.

Some guy managed a contact over approximately 9,000 miles with the Rock Mite

There is also a DC 20 A or 30 A or 40 A from www.qrpkits.com costing with DX shipping about 1,400 Baht. It has a keyer but no enclosure.

I know several Thai OPs who own the Wilderness Radio Norcal 40 A But this mono band transceiver is expensive, when you add the kc1 keyer and the different front panel. Then we are talking THB 7,000+

But it is possible to get on the air with a small QRP transceiver costing all together maybe THB 1,500. And for SSB, there is the THB 3,400 BitX20 which puts out 10 Watts. A friend is putting it into an old CB radio hi hi. *** So you think 10 W is a joke for SSB? Tom DL2HRF aligned my White Mountain and his first two contacts were Greece and France running 5 Watts.

Another link would be www.morsex.com but I never owned an OHR kit.
One OP owns Kd1jv's ATS-3B in Bangkok hi. Mine is in the mail. And I bought the Norcal 2030 a very complicated SMD kit with more than 500 parts. As partial kit a $ 55 / THB 1,700 bargain. But getting the missing parts will take many hours  :(

www.kd1jv.qrpradio.com

73s de Chris HS0ZFE
Mobile: 082 5766 516
E-mail: kf6vci@gmail.com

HS0ZIE

Re: Soem QRP links
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »
The audible difference between a 5 W and a 100 W  CW signal is not that huge.

One of my first CW QSOs was with tom www.qsl.net/dl2hrf who worked me using both, his Icom 730 (?) and his SW+. The SW+ costs with enclosure and DX shiping about THB 3,500. Just the main board about THB 1,900 http://www.smallwonderlabs.com this kit is described in depth in a book (QRP Power? it is large and blue and from the ARRL). So I had the opportunity to hear two transceivers. Guess which one sounded a lot better and cleaner? the SW+!

At the time, I was using the K1-4 with ATU from www.elecraft.com Hanging a dipole out of the first floor window, it almost touched the lawn. But not even using the full power, I worked Turkey, Russia and 30 other countries on 40 m and never had a QRP problem. The "K1 can be set down to a 200 Hz filter.

Some guy managed a contact over approximately 9,000 miles with the Rock Mite

There is also a DC 20 A or 30 A or 40 A from www.qrpkits.com costing with DX shipping about 1,400 Baht. It has a keyer but no enclosure.

I know several Thai OPs who own the Wilderness Radio Norcal 40 A But this mono band transceiver is expensive, when you add the kc1 keyer and the different front panel. Then we are talking THB 7,000+

But it is possible to get on the air with a small QRP transceiver costing all together maybe THB 1,500. And for SSB, there is the THB 3,400 BitX20 which puts out 10 Watts. A friend is putting it into an old CB radio hi hi. *** So you think 10 W is a joke for SSB? Tom DL2HRF aligned my White Mountain and his first two contacts were Greece and France running 5 Watts.

Another link would be www.morsex.com but I never owned an OHR kit.
One OP owns Kd1jv's ATS-3B in Bangkok hi. Mine is in the mail. And I bought the Norcal 2030 a very complicated SMD kit with more than 500 parts. As partial kit a $ 55 / THB 1,700 bargain. But getting the missing parts will take many hours  :(

www.kd1jv.qrpradio.com

73s de Chris HS0ZFE

The kits are a fun thing in ham radio, but then we have a problem they are not legal to use in Thailand there we have NTC again in Europe and in the US we don't have to think about that.

HS0GBI

Re: Soem QRP links
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:07:01 AM »
Hi,
I am the one who own ATS-3B, very nice 6 Band QRP with 4.5 watts out put. The reciever is very good, but HS is to far for QRPer QSO during very poor propagation. I have 2-ways QRP QSO longest to UK last year after build it. Hope I can do more when propagation get better.
Best to u guy, 73 de Cy.