Author Topic: Installing an antenna tower - who do I need permission from??  (Read 7952 times)

Offline HS0ZIB

Installing an antenna tower - who do I need permission from??
« on: August 27, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
I'm going to shortly build my second, small hotel resort in Phuket, and this time I want to include an antenna tower (antenna mast sections) mounted atop my water tower.

what are the rules about installing antenna towers?  Who do I need to obtain permission from to erect this tower?  Maximum height??  How about my proximity to Phuket Airport (1 km, not under the flight path)..

Thanks for any advice

Simon

Offline HS0ZIL

• Life is too short for QRP!!
    • Moonbouncing
Re: Installing an antenna tower - who do I need permission from??
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:22:40 AM »
Hi Simon,

normally all is written down in your station licence. For example, I have the permission to build a 60m high tower :-)
But think that you did already all this for your actual QTH?

Karsten พ่อใหญ่อ้วน , DL2LAH/HS0ZIL
HS    EME#2
HS0Z EME#1
1st WAC 144MHz EME in HS

QTH: OK16bq

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »
I am of the opinion if you are in control of your property (corporate owned, 30 year lease etc) all you need is your station license. Although i have read that phuket may do things differently.  Personally as i have control of my property i am not asking anybody. Thailand has towers everywhere. 

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »
Simon,

Did you build it already?
How about the hotel? Good rates for RAST members?  :)

As to what you can and cannot do, well you probably know by now but it's not always clear. Is anything here?
So, your station license says you can go to 60 metres, but it's not the sole controlling document. Depending on the particular administrative jurisdiction you might need more. As an example, less than 16 metres may need no other permit. Above 16 metres may need a permit from the local amphur land office. Maybe not depends where you are. Thailand is a bureaucratic heaven so expect there to be 'necessary' paperwork somewhere. Sure you've seen that!

The station license is just a document that states what the station at the stated address may utilise. The ability to make use of what the station license permits depends on holding all the other necessary documents.
Your station licence may be for 10 watts, 100 watts, 200 watts, 500 watts, 1 kilowatt or indeed 10 kilowatts, depends how much you want to pay. Your ability to use that depends on what it says on the appropriate operator permit, The licence with your callsign attached, if an intermediate then it's 200 watts. The tower thing works much the same way.

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
My station license said 60meters. I did not ask anyone else. I guess it is a gamble but no one here in chonburi heard of anyone issuing other permits. I of course only asked the tower builder. I would never go to a govt agency and ask. The country has more towers then 7'11s. Another tower would hardly be noticed.

Offline HS0ZIB

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »
Hi, well my antenna mast is installed and the new little hotel should open for business at the end of February.  (This is actually the 5th hotel that I've built/owned in Thailand!)

The antenna mast that I've installed is well short of 60 metres.  It's actually 12 metres in height, with a further 2 metres or so for the antenna support pole.  I am severely restricted on antenna mast height because the site that I finally chose to build my hotel is only 300 metres from the airport runway, albeit off to one side of the runway.  So 15 metres overall height was my restriction.  My mast also has a red flashing warning light atop, and was professionally installed by VTS Tower in Phuket.

I still need to complete my QTH station - I've allocated a small area in my hotel reception to house my ham gear - I'll give some photo links when I take a few photos of the final set-up

Simon