Author Topic: There is no Citizen Band (CB) at 27 Mhz / 11 meter?  (Read 15677 times)

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
There is no Citizen Band (CB) at 27 Mhz / 11 meter?
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:56:24 PM »
Just wondering. My old RC planes had a 27 Mhz quarz but I creashed those planes not due to QRM  :-[ 73, Chris HS0ZFE
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:18:42 PM by HS0ZFZ »
Mobile: 082 5766 516
E-mail: kf6vci@gmail.com

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
Re: There is no Citizen Band (CB) at 27 Mhz / 11 meter?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Dear Chris,

Overview CB Band in HS:

1. 27 MHz - Case Color ?? - usually the fishermens still using it! - Similar Rig' s like the CB Rig's in DL.
2. 78 MHz - Yellow Case - only 2nd Hand Radio if there are some available ... I do not think so ... never have seen anything ...
3. 245 MHz - Red Case (>5 Watts)  - available at the VHF shops

Well here in HS there are the most Rig's for the CB Band 245 MHz .... Red Case!!! -- All the security guys using this CB Band which is open for everybody if you have one of these officially bought registered red-colored Rig's - NTC Sticker on it! There is additional one band.

For the 1st and 2nd band there will be no more new licences for using this bands .... If you want to join you can join only the 245 MHz band.

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Ruth

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »
Dear Sir,
just wondering..is the CB Band 245MHz open for all peoples or just for Thailand nationality only?
Like, I'm from 9M land, can i use the CB band in Thailand? Or what type of approval did i have to get to operated the band?
Thank you

HS0ZIE

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:08:47 AM »
I cont know what its says in the law book, but for a foreigner that uses a two way radio without a written permit even citizen band can risk 5 year in prison in this country. :'( 8)

In Chiangmai the shops don't even sell it to you if you can not show a permit to use the radio.

Ruth

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
opssss... :Ptq for the info ;D

Offline ON8JA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »
Getting a license for a 245Mhz radio
You can buy and use the red VHF radio's (245 Mhz).
The shop where you buy the radio will arrange the license for you.

First of all, the radio needs to have the NTC sticker.
Secondly, you need to get a license for EACH radio you purchase.
Practically, this means providing some proof of ID and paying a fee depending on the power output of the radio. (for a 5 watt radio this was somewhere around 1000 baht if I remember correctly. the more power, the higher the fee)
The shop normally does all the paperwork for you.
It takes a few weeks to process (as they have to send the documents to the NTC), after which you can pick up the license at the radio shop.
You need one license per radio, and it only needs to be purchased once.
For a portable radio, this is all you need.

In case you connect your radio to the power grid, or use a fixed antenna, your station becomes a 'fixed' station and you need a station license as well, for which you need to provide the 'tablien baan' or registration documents of the place where you live, and an extra fee and more paperwork.

Using the 245 Mhz band

There are 80 'channels', FM modulated. The problem is that in Bangkok, with a population of over 10 million, there are so many 245Mhz users that nearly every channel is in use 24/7. The code tone squelch or similar selective squelch system is a must unless you want to listen to the high signal level background noise of multiple stations interfering with each other all the time.
Security guards typically use the 245'mhz radio's as well as the volunteer emergency services. Besides, many users use a mobile setup and blast 40-50 watts, as well as the numerous 'fixed' stations who dissipate that amount of power on strategically placed fixed antenna's.

This means your 5 watt portables are no match for their power, and they will be virtually unusable in urban Bangkok unless you stay very close to each other.
I live on the 20th floor, and even with a fixed full wave antenna on the balcony + 5watts I cannot communicate to my other portable radio further than 1 to 2 kilometers from my location due to the presence of stronger stations, on each frequency, at any time of the day.

Contrary to the situation in Bangkok, 'upcountry' or outside of Bangkok you can actually use the radio's on the 245Mhz band as the band is not congested.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:55:34 PM by ON8JA »

M0XDW

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 04:53:55 PM »
Hi All, nice to discover this forum.

I just bought a 245Mhz 'Red' handheld from the shop in Naklua, Pattaya (between Soi 9 and Soi 11 on Naklua road). The handset is a bit beat up etc. and I just wanted it basically so that I could determine whether CB radio frequencies were being used by any 'farangs' here in Pattaya (I haven't heard any yet).

Can anyone post a 'scan' or 'photo' of an 'NTC' sticker so that we know what they look like.

The guy in the shop didn't say (probably because he didn't know) anything about licences for radios etc. so is there a post somewhere that details the steps for obtaining one ?? ..... supposing that I actually can obtain one for my handset.

Dave

HS0ZIE

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
Between the battery and chassis you should Se a silvery sticker with a Thai NTC emblem and numbers / 48 the last symbols the year its licensed

;D

M0XDW

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:21:39 PM »
Many thanks for that. I'm taking it that the sticker at the bottom in the attached photo (with the last 2 digits obscured by the flash) is the one in question. The last two digits in this example are '46' so I'm guessing that this particular handset hasn't been licenced for quite some time ::)

Now, how do I go about getting it licenced ??

73's and thanks for your help so far,
dave

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »
Dear Dave,

follow up the procesure which was discribe by Alexander ON8JA above .... usually the rig's registered with NTC sticker glued on it ... but you have to registered it in your name then you are getting the personally registeration, then everthing is proper ...  but do not forget onces you are attaching and external ANT ... then is becomes a station and you have to apply an additional station licences! - HI! Same thing like the HAM stuff ...

Well usually there are only security and hotel stuff using that kind of CB radios. ON8JA is staying in BKK in an appartment in the XX floor and every QRG is occupied. - Only Thai's natives. and he is not able to find a free QRG.

Anyway I do not think there is an QRG which is used by foreigner's even in Pattaya!

73 DE HS0ZFZ

Swen

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Thanh-BKK

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
Hello :)

I have just registered here because this question has been going around in my head for neatrly 8 years now. In Germany i used to be a CBer/Freebander/11mDXer. When i moved to Thailand, i only brought my handheld with me, it's a "Dragon SS 201" 400ch AM/FM/USB/LSB 11/10m unit. The power can be switched in three steps - 0.5, 2 and 4 Watts.

A longer time ago i have read *somewhere* that in Thailand the world-usual 40 "CB" channels are free to use with no more than 0.5 Watts, however it was not specified if the rig must fulfill certain requirements or which kind of modulation is allowed.

For lack of QSO partners i rarely fire up the thing, using a home-made bazooka checking if there's some DX but apart from Chinese-sounding stations that appear close i can't catch anything on the whole band - even 10m seems to be pretty dead here. Listening on "the 555" i can very rarely catch DX traffic but i can't reach them - 4 watts P.E.P. and the antenna just hanging from the balcony isn't gonna cut it, i believe.

Right now i was checking E-Bay for CB radios and again got curious if i can find some info on their legality, or lack thereof, in Thailand. After all, most of today's CB equipment is "Made In Thailand" but surprisingly none of it is sold here.

So what is the actual situation now with 11m/27 MHz, legal or not? Need license? Which modulation? Any specific rig requirements? When i got here in December 2000 i declared my handheld with customs but they weren't interested in it.

Many thanks in advance for replies....

73 de 153DAA510

Thanh

M0XDW

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »
Just a quick update for anyone that may be interested:

for the last Two days now I've been channel scanning all 80 245Mhz CB channels here in Pattaya, apart from the occasional hotel or security guard I would say that at least 80-90% of these frequencies aren't being used, except for 245.000Mhz (Channel 1) which seems to be the resident frequency of some nutter who continually plays Thai love songs over the air  :'(

I only have the standard 6" flexible stub antenna with the handset so there may be more traffic than I can actually receive but even so this seems to be an under-used resource here in Pattaya.

73's M0XDW

HS0ZIE

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »
Have forgotten to say that 27mhz is blooming here in Thailand and and also is excepted by the ham community here.

The Forums that are in Thai have also 27mhz listed the 100 watt magazine also, so Listen in to 27,555 and you will here Thais talk to Europe and ells where

During day time my Receiver is on 555 to listen when there openings on 10m is a very god frequency for that. ::).

Thanh-BKK

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 04:34:30 PM »

Thank you very much for the information. Do you happen to have a link to such forums? I bought that magazine once but there was nothing about 27MHz in it (was a few years ago i have to admit).

I would like to get a "real" antenna (half wave), i could buy it on E-Bay and put it on the holder of my satellite dish, no problem with the landlady there, however it's a long antenna as you know, easily visible - and i don't want to have the police knock my door because i run an illegal radio. I live in a very good position in the top floor of my building and no taller buildings around.... it's a shame NOT to use it :)

Which is why i wish to find out about the legal aspect - i don't mind registering the thing and pay a fee, as long as it CAN be legal. I know that there is activity in 153 (Thailand) as I had the pleasure twice from Germany, but then - that QRG is not exactly legal to use in Germany so the same can be said for Thailand. BUT "regular 27MHz" is very well legal in Germany, so having a 5.5 meter vertical on the roof is a regular sight there - as opposed to HERE. 

Another question, unrelated - what sort of license does one need here for 2m? Is it possible for foreigners to obtain such license? I never had a HAM license in Germany....... though my grandfather did (DL 6 DP).

Kind regards.....

Thanh

HS0ZIE

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »

Thank you very much for the information. Do you happen to have a link to such forums? I bought that magazine once but there was nothing about 27MHz in it (was a few years ago i have to admit).

I would like to get a "real" antenna (half wave), i could buy it on E-Bay and put it on the holder of my satellite dish, no problem with the landlady there, however it's a long antenna as you know, easily visible - and i don't want to have the police knock my door because i run an illegal radio. I live in a very good position in the top floor of my building and no taller buildings around.... it's a shame NOT to use it :)

Which is why i wish to find out about the legal aspect - i don't mind registering the thing and pay a fee, as long as it CAN be legal. I know that there is activity in 153 (Thailand) as I had the pleasure twice from Germany, but then - that QRG is not exactly legal to use in Germany so the same can be said for Thailand. BUT "regular 27MHz" is very well legal in Germany, so having a 5.5 meter vertical on the roof is a regular sight there - as opposed to HERE. 

Another question, unrelated - what sort of license does one need here for 2m? Is it possible for foreigners to obtain such license? I never had a HAM license in Germany....... though my grandfather did (DL 6 DP).

Kind regards.....

Thanh

The antennas are very cheap here all the shops that sells vhf stuff sells also 27 mhz , how to do it with TRX here in Thailand i don't know, but most of the guys you hear  there are hams and they use Ham gear ore superstar 2200 or Allan is very popular.
They work with home brew 3elm beams and also 5/8 verticals like in Europe
Here is a link for ham radio and so on.

http://www.100watts.com/smf/

I don't know what nationality you are Than but if you are not Thai its most impossible for you to obtain a Ham license in Thailand

you have to have a license from your home country and your country also have to have agreement with Thailand.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:52:16 PM by HS0ZIE »