Author Topic: Visit to Thailand - Bangkok  (Read 1912 times)

ZS6XK

Visit to Thailand - Bangkok
« on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:13 AM »
Hello all,

I hope this post finds you all well.

I will be visiting Bangkok towards the middle of February 2012. Would love to poke my nose into a Ham Store of some sort. I am after a few items. I have had  look at the supplier forums, and came across kwangham.com. I see they have 9 stores, are there better stores in BKK. I will be staying at the RAMADA D'MA in Bangkok. Could anyone advise if any of these KwangHam stores are nearby, or if there is something else nearby?

Looking forward to your advice, I hope this topic is in the correct forum :)

John
ZS6XK / A22HLT

Offline HS0ZIQ

Re: Visit to Thailand - Bangkok
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:28:27 PM »
Hello John,

You will mainly find VHF,lots of this in Bangkok, as for HF expensive, best buy in Singapore from Blazer.

73's

HS0ZIQ/ZB2JK
John

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:18:38 PM »
Hello John,

You will mainly find VHF,lots of this in Bangkok, as for HF expensive, best buy in Singapore from Blazer.

73's

HS0ZIQ/ZB2JK
John

Have to agree it is a waste of time shopping for radio equipment here in thailand...

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:19:42 PM »
You will not find shops that might be as you would expect to find them in a western (or other western copying) country. But there are still places of interest to radio amateurs, those with an interest in the gadgets and tech of radio and electronics and the marvel that is wireless communication.

Head to Ban Moh, a junction on the edge of China town and spend an hour or two just walking the streets and alleys that lead off from that junction. It's all there, from satellite tv to pic micro chips, three phase motors to vacuum tubes (more later radio fans) magnets to stepper motors. Dodgy videos that would make a Sukhumvit street walker blush and battery powered things that I guess are for thinning paint! Hey, it's Thailand, gimme a break!

If it's a component you need, you might well find it here, just be sure as to what you are after as the ability to extrapolate , as in 'something like this' does not always come across well. I can think of a place selling rebuilt Bird watt meters, pricey but they have em, they even have some slugs for em, A shop in the Old Siam theatre mall that has odds and ends, A nice surplus 500 watt dummy load, expensive but for sale.

Then there's the tubes, vacuum tubes, valves to us Brits. Well there used to be up until a couple of years ago, I haven't looked recently but I'd say Bangkok is one of the few places left where you can walk in to a shop and buy a 6BA6, ECC81, 12AT7, and then there are the real goodies. I bought a new boxed pair of RCA 6JB6, just waiting for a Drake T4XC and then the 6146's all variants plain vanilla, A's B's and W's, in refurbishing several Collins KWM2A's an S line and a few others I've been able to buy, off the shelf, pretty much every tube I needed. Some of these are used today in audio gear but so many are clearly the merchandise of another age with their dusty boxes fetched down from shelves where they have probably sat through the last 6 coups, hang on, that might not be enough years!

If you want to buy shiny toys from Yaecomwood or drool over the latest ham bling I guess Thailand is not a great place to try it. Kwang shops have all the bits but are very much targeted at the local CB groups, they call them novice licenses here and give them 2 metres but believe me put it anywhere else on the planet and it's CB. So come and enjoy, do all the things you come to Thailand for and if you stay in Bangkok a while and have the time take a trip to Ban Moh.

MRT to Hua Lamphong then hail a cab on the west heading side of Rama IV Tell the driver to go to Ban Moh and go and lose yourself for a few hours. Taxis trawl around the Old Siam theatre building all day so finding one to bring you back should not be to tough. Oh, it's not life threatening, but if there's a geek inside you then watch the wallet HI HI!

Enjoy.

Martin, HS0ZED

Offline pb5x

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
Hello to all

I will be visiting Thailand on the 30th of april till 19th of may 2013.

The first 3 days i will be in BKK. and i would like to transmit from HS0AC if possible and ofcourse meet some other HAM friends.
So if some one has some ideas or wants to meet me it would be great.

73 Roberto PB5X