Author Topic: An overview  (Read 4489 times)

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
An overview
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:34:06 AM »
Sawasdee krap!

There is www.echolink.org but they won't let me log on as Hs0zfe unless I send in proof that this is a genuine call etc. No such hassle with KF6VCI  :o

For non-ham use, I would recommend www.skype.com as it has the best quality. But the pay-services are very expensive. Some of you may want to consider buying a Skype-in number in their home country which when dialed will let their computers ring or calls go to voice mail which can be 9:55 minutes long.

For longer calls, I use www.voipbusterpro.com but this service is often unrealiable or when used to long on a day, resorts to charging 1 Euro cent per minute.

Other VoIP services let your home phone ring. www.jajah.com comes to mind. You might make a free short trial call.

Ending, I would say that not using the capabilities of VoIP would be a mistake. Conference calls with Skype can be really useful. They are still free.

For those with no DSL at home, many internet cafe's offer headsets. Give it a try!

73 de Chris HS0ZFE
Mobile: 082 5766 516
E-mail: kf6vci@gmail.com

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
Re: An overview
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:23:06 PM »
Dear Om's,

well I usuallay Skype for Voice+Video and www.voipdiscount.com for calls to ordinary lines (incl. Mobiles - reveise the link)

12.50 Euro per quater - unlimited called to several countries incl. Thailand (landline + mobile, many european countries and America - No Limit at all!)

After that periode of 3-month the periode of free calls will change and you have to pay for each call - the credit is further usable - No Loss! - Ones you refill our credit amout the periode of 3 month free calls starts again .... They also provide you Sip and Stun Servers! :)

Try it out they offer Trails!

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:45:37 AM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »
Hi Swen,

thank you for your recommendation. There is one Swiss company offering a dozen or more VoIP services. This might be one of them. Use them frequently and they wil charge you EUR 0,01 per minute. I tried several of these deals and the "acceptable use policy" kicks in. forget the promise, my experience has been a disappointment. Which also applies to www.voipbusterpro.com Call too many times or too long (automatic disconnection after 59 minutes) and pay the price.

Will check out your service provider, it would be fantastic if the terms & conditions were any different!

Hope to meet you on the bands or at RAST,

Chris HS0ZFE (KF6VCI / MI1ESG)

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:42:54 AM »
Dear Chris,

well I' am using the service provider for at least over 1 year and it works (98%). The headquater of Voipdiscount is in Cologne (DL).

Try it out and let me know ...

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
Betamaxx Cologne operates many VoIP services
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
Dear Swen,

mni tnx. I have been using them for years - several of their offerings like www.sparvoip.de and www.voipbuster.com besides www.voipbusterpro.com

In the past, Thailand was included in the free calls of Voipbuster but I simply wanted to say that their "policy" won't let you make unlimited calls. That's all. Try calling for say 2 hours for a few days and watch them charge 1 cent per minute.

In DL, one can get call-by-call providers who offer Thai mobile phone calls for about 1.5 cents from a landline. Sadly, my landline is provided by a cable company which won't permit call-by-call providers and their minute costs 49 cents.  >:(

Since Skype is bloody expensive, I am using Betamaxx. For very short U.S. calls, www.jajah.com might be a good solution at $ 0.047 per minute using a Thai mobile phone. Better sound quality!

Q: Is there any alternative to Skype-in?? They increased their prices dramatically  :o 
Skype -in is neat as it automatically routes calls to say my California and German numbers to my comp[uter, wherever I may be. (I took calls at Hong Kong airport for example when someone dialled my German number).

Thanks!

73 de Chris HS0ZFE

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
Dear Chris,

well I paid the minium fee of 10 Euro + VAT = 12.50 Euro .... I got unlimited free calls according to the country list shown on the website - unlimited free calls (website) for the periode of 3-month ! If your are lucky and you want to call to that countries which are free then you have unlimited calls to this country or network! - After 3 month I still have the 12.50 Euro credit! - If a call droped you just redail - NO Charge!

After that periode you can use your credit - because after that 3-month periode they charge you for each call ...  onces you refill some amount it will be added to your credit! - NO LOSS!

I know they have different brands like Voipbuster / Voipdiscount ..... with different policies! It works!

Within the 3 month periode you can have unlimited calls to the following countries - accorrding to www.voipdiscount.com :

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong (mobile), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico (mobile), Russian Federation, Singapore (+mobile), Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand (+mobile), United Kingdom, United States (+mobile)

Any alternative to Skype-In! - So far no idea ..

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:48:01 AM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 01:22:57 PM »
Cheers, Swen, OM!

I will sign up for the recommended service although I know the provider and Betamaxx' T&Cs. Use the service to call 1-2 hours a day and watch your credit balance go down at 1 cent per minute  :o  ::)

73 de Chris

M0XDW

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »
Hi all,
just my tuppence-ha-penny:

www.draytel.org has some very good rates, I have a VOIP phone connected to a draytel account (which has a DDI UK number) here in LOS, my family back in the UK can call a standard UK number and the phone rings here at my house in Pattaya, it only costs them the same to call me here as it used to when I was back in the UK !!! - Of course, as already mentioned, Skype is good for the video calls.

73's
M0XDW AKA Dave