Author Topic: NBTC Seems to be working better :)  (Read 3615 times)

Offline k4hyz

NBTC Seems to be working better :)
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:14:57 AM »
Import license applied for July 8, 2011 received July 26,2011.  Total of about 18 days.   I will hand carry and declare my HF transceiver at the airport next week.  Will post the total taxes...btw import license 214baht

Offline k4hyz

Re: NBTC Seems to be working better :)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
Arrived at airport and went to declare my radio with NTBC papers in hand.  The customs agent says he needs another paper..I tell him i believe the documents are complete. He again says NO! I need a paper from a shipping agent or import broker.  Well Of course i dont know of one. They tell me i can bond the radio and have a import broker retrieve it. Ok I go to the bonding office and ask if he knows a broker? Well of course he does and he happens to be in the airport. Wow what a setup i mean a stroke of luck. Ok i am not asking too many questions as I have 3 large suitcase and two small one loaded with wire, coax, rotor, swr meter, power supply and all kinds of other stuff i dont want to pay vat or duty on. The broker arrives in 5 minutes and we give the radio to the bonding agent and then he sends me with the rest of my bags back through customs. They wave me through then they call me back and want to xray all of them. Now I am screwed so I think? They make me open the bag with the TX2 rotor and ask me about it, I am sure they could not understand but they send me back to bond it also. My new best friend Jack the customs broker tried to push me through. We go in to the customs room and Jack talks with the bonding agent. Me and Jack then go to another area with the bonding agent and we walk around all the xray machines. What a relief I have everything through except the radio. We then go to the 3rd floor where the customs processing office is and Jack goes to work. He comes out and says 4500 baht plus whatever i want to give him. I go to the atm and hand him 5000 and he is off to work.  Well after the time downstairs with the bonding agent it is now lunch time.  Ok 4 1/2 hours in total Jack has the papers and radio in hand.  Actual duty 910baht. Extras 4090 baht...  I also gave my taxi a extra 1000baht as he waited the extra 4 1/2 hours.   Thursday the radio will go to the ntbc for inspection

Offline HS0ZIL

• Life is too short for QRP!!
    • Moonbouncing
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »
Hi Marc,

interesting story! What kind of transceiver you brought in?
Hope the check at NBTC will be fast done :-)

vy 73
Karsten พ่อใหญ่อ้วน , DL2LAH/HS0ZIL
HS    EME#2
HS0Z EME#1
1st WAC 144MHz EME in HS

QTH: OK16bq

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
Hi Marc,

interesting story! What kind of transceiver you brought in?
Hope the check at NBTC will be fast done :-)

vy 73
Karsten พ่อใหญ่อ้วน , DL2LAH/HS0ZIL

I am importing a TS450s which i have owned since new many years ago.

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:02:51 PM »
Thursday I arrived at the NBTC with radio in hand.   First let me tell you that you will need more then entry level thai to do business there. I would recommend to bring someone who not only can speak but has some knowledge of what you are doing...The new forms to register your radio and register your station are only in thai. I originally asked my wife to fill it out but she could not. I went in to the inspection building which is not where you apply for your license. I gave them a lot of papers as it seems government agencies here like that. Passport, visa, tabien baan, HS license, import paper, custom papers and whatever else i had. These papers were going to be used for the station and rig registration but the inspection office took most of them. They also told me it would be 4-5 days to inspect the radio. BTW you can not apply for the station/rig registration until the rig is inspected and has a sticker. I will return solo next week as i believe i know where and how to complete the process.  I also believe this rig/station registration is about 2500baht.  The costs really add up quick here. 2100 for rast membership, 5000 at customs, 2500 rig/station, 1200 baht for ems and import license and 2000 when i needed help with my HS call. 12,800 plus misc expenses and not even close to being able to operate!

Offline OZ1FJB / OU2V - Lars

• My website
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:12 AM »
Because of this circus with equipment, I only bought a HF RX, Kenwood R-1000, and used abt.36 hrs. at the HS0AC in Bangkok running the IOTA-contest.
Funny thing is to watch a youtube, from at Bangkok Ham in the IT-university, using a Yaesu ft-897 - how the h.... can that radio be used and imported to Thailand ?  :( - it most surtain have the 6m. band...

rgds and good luck with your rig. Next time I hope to get a permit for transmitting, and then rent a rig from RAST, ts930 or other useful one..
vy73 de oz1fjb  was in HS in week 29,30 and 31.

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »
Dear OM,

well it was nice to meet you Marc at the NBTC last week and to show you the points of interest!

There are everywhere "black sheeps" on the world ... this FT-897  was definetly not officially import - Grey import!! and will be never be able to registered even if they going to open the rig requirements - which hopefully happens latest during next years!

Well I do not know why you are talking about "circus" - as you are still from a country which is not on reciprocal agreement list with Thailand HS - a couple of years ago you could get caught when you were owning 50 Ohm coax cable, crystals etc. - without permission or HAMRADIO license! and that could cost you 5 years/each in jail.
So it's more then the rules you have to respect especially if you just fly-in and out and not really knowing the regulations - even never visited the authority and applied for you license.

If you still not believe it have a look on this post

http://rastforum.com/index.php?topic=642.0

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:54:46 AM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

ppadco

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
Hi Marc,
Thanks for the interesting report. I assume from your post that you treated your Kenwood as carry-on luggage.  If so, did the airline or the security check people at the airport have any restrictions or special requirements to get it on the plane, or did it just pass through security with no problem? 
\Paul/ HS0ZJT

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
Hi Marc,
Thanks for the interesting report. I assume from your post that you treated your Kenwood as carry-on luggage.  If so, did the airline or the security check people at the airport have any restrictions or special requirements to get it on the plane, or did it just pass through security with no problem? 
\Paul/ HS0ZJT
Yes it was carry on. EVA air gave me a hard time as I had 15kilos but only allowed. The supervisor was nice and let me pass. Security did a hand search after the xray but it was a spool of solder they were looking at. In taiwan I just passed no questions asked.

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »
UPDATE!   The ntbc told me my rig would be ready to pick up 18/8/2011.  I called on the 17th and they said they would call me thur or fri. You guessed it no call. I then called again monday and they told me to pick it up thursday 25/8/2011. I arrive and collect the rig at the inspection building then proceed to the license building. I am lucky to find a lady who speaks some english. I only needed HS license, application and tabien baan. She then proceeded to enter everything in the computer. She then gives me a envelope to address to myself. Tells me it will be in the mail in less then 30 days. Now a receipt to take upstairs and pay 2500 baht for a 200 watt station.    One more thing i asked where is my sticker as i heard that is you rig inspection/registration. She went and asked the boss and apparently second hand radios dont get stickers. 

Offline OZ1FJB / OU2V - Lars

• My website
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 01:01:16 AM »
Hey Marc.
Thanks for you informative informations about getting an old rig inside Thailand. It was a suprice for me that it did not get a stamp on the chassis..
Next time I go to xyl

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »
I believe if you are a rast member you can use the rast station. I wouldnt think a rent out rig would work as you would still need a station license. You cant get a station license without a approved rig&rig registration...

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »
Update...8/25/11 applied for station,auto and rig registration.....30/8/11 all three licenses arrived ems.  Not even 5 days to process and deliver not bad:).....Now waiting on my balun and then will get on the air....

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing! This is not something I would like to go through  >:(
73 de Chris HS0ZFE
Mobile: 082 5766 516
E-mail: kf6vci@gmail.com