Author Topic: A ham was killed and another injured - their tower was blown over  (Read 1000 times)

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
RADIO SAFETY: RADIO AMATEUR KILLED IN TOWER COLLAPSE ACCIDENT

Hello FISTS,

This just came via email from Bill Pastenak' Newsline:

>>A Hot Springs, South Dakota ham radio operator was killed and another seriously injured Saturday, July 16th.  This after a communications tower they were helping dismantle was blown over by a gust of wind.

According to Fall River County emergency manager Frank Maynard, Tim Anderson, K0OR, died of his injuries at Rapid City Regional Hospital shortly after arriving by Life Flight helicopter.  The second man, Tom Embree, NC0K, also of Hot Springs, was also flown to Rapid City Regional Hospital where surgery was performed Sunday.  He remains in serious condition.

The men were helping their amateur radio club remove a 110 foot high tower on the top of a near-by peak known as Gull Hill.  The tower was no longer in use, and the owner had offered it to the radio club, which was going to move it to a new location.

News reports say that several other radio club members were on the ground at the time of the accident.  They had taken down all but the final 30 foot section of the tower and were just beginning to release some guy wires when a gust of wind blew the tower over with the two men still on it and then collapsed on them.

Both Anderson and Embree are members of the Hot Springs Amateur Radio Club.  Hot Springs is located about 60 miles south of Rapid City.  At the time of his death, Anderson was the club's president.  (KELO, other published news reports) <<

Tim was FISTS number 12369 and his address was 440 N 20TH ST, Hot Springs SD 57747 if you would like to send a QSL card or condolence note to his family.  It is always sad to lose a friend and FISTS member, but when it is from a hamming accident at a relatively young age it is even harder. Tim came to Dayton Hamvention a few years ago. I got to know him because he was good friends with two other SD FISTS (Jiggs, WA0FGV and Sleet WZ0W) who are now also SK.

We are OUT of the 3.0 K7QO Code Course and I am in the process if having more made. There is a v3.1 on the Internet, available on Torrent pages (do a search on 3.1 K7QO Code Course and some will come up on a search). I haven't been able to download any to listen to them - but don' want to reprint v3.0 if there is another version out there.

I asked Chuck K7QO (who is in the hospital from a spider or scorpion bite - see details on his web page www.k7qo.net) before he went into the hospital if he had another version ready and said he didn't. Has anyone listened to the torrent download?

Chuck's health is improving and hopes to be out of the hospital in a couple days. He says he doesn't want a lot of emails, and he will get to catching up on requests as soon as he can, so if you ordered a book or something from him please be patient.

------------------------------------
Don't forget to mark your calendar for all the events we have coming up in September.  We are also working with the UK contingent on a World Wide Award to commemorate FISTS anniversary starting in January. Sounds far away, but it will be here before you know it.

Thanks to those who are sending in stories, articles and pics. It is greatly appreciated by your fellow FISTS (especially me!) Keep 'em coming.

Hope the next update brings better news.

73  88 33
Nancy WZ8C
RIP Tim, K0OR!