Author Topic: Local VE Testing for U.S. Amateur Licenses  (Read 3516 times)

hs0zdp

Local VE Testing for U.S. Amateur Licenses
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:51:55 PM »
We are in the process of setting up Volunteer Examiner testing sessions for U.S. amateur radio licenses.  If you are interested in taking a test, please provide the following information via the RASTForum.

Name:
Callsign:
Email address:
Test element(s) you want to take:

See the ARRL website (http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/index.html) for details about the tests and requirements.

We hope to offer tests soon and to be able to offer them regularly.  The tests are in English and you should prepare for each of the test elements that you are interested in taking. When we have determined which tests are needed, we will make arrangements (date/time/place) for holding the tests and set up a registration list.

Please spread the word to others who may not be members of the forum or of RAST.

Offline KY1A

• :::::: A-1 OP ::::: http://www.e21eic.net
Re: Local VE Testing for U.S. Amateur Licenses
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:59:13 PM »
 :) :) :)
73, Champ, E21EIC/KY1A
===================
RAST QSL Bureau
G.P.O. Box 2008 
Bangkok  10501
THAILAND

Offline HS0ZIP

• HS0ZIP aka KC7X
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »
Let me know if you need an extra volunteer examiner. I have done this before in the US and am still certified (as part of the ARRL VE program).

73's,

Rick - KC7X

hs0zdp

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
Rick,

We would be glad to have you working with us.  You can't have too many VE's, only too few :-)

Dr. Dave

Offline KY1A

• :::::: A-1 OP ::::: http://www.e21eic.net
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 05:53:50 PM »
 :) :)

Amateur Exam Question Pools
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

73, Champ, E21EIC
73, Champ, E21EIC/KY1A
===================
RAST QSL Bureau
G.P.O. Box 2008 
Bangkok  10501
THAILAND

hs0zdp

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »
For any new licensees, the American Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is now issuing only three levels of license:

Technician Class         (Element 2)
General Class             (Element 3)
Amateur Extra Class    (Element 4)

To receive a Technician license, you must pass Element 2.

To receive a General license, you must pass Elements 2 and 3, or already have a Technician license and pass Element 3

To receive a Amateur Extra license, you must pass Elements 2, 3, and 4, or already have a Technician license and pass Element 3 and 4, or already have a General license and pass Element 4

There is no longer a requirement to pass a morse code examination.

The applicant must have a U.S. mailing address to hold a U.S. license. A foreign applicant (that is someone who does not live in the U.S. and have a mailing address in the U.S.) must obtain or borrow a U.S. mailing address. One way to do this is to ask a friend or relative who lives in the U.S. to permit you to use their mailing address. If you pass your test and receive a license, the license will be mailed to this U.S. address and your friend or relative will then have to mail your license to you here in Thailand.  It may take you some time to arrange for a U.S. mailing address, so if you plan on taking a VE test, you need to start on obtaining this address now, so you will have it when you are ready to test.

All applicants will have to show identification (ID) documents, which is normally required to be a photographic ID, such as a passport, driver's license, national ID card, or other legal photographic identification.

hs0zdp

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »
Rick,

Please email me directly and provide me with your email address so that we can include you in our planning discussions.  Thanks and 73.

Dr. Dave/HS0ZDP

Offline K2JFW (HS2JFW)

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »
Then, I can upgrade my license classs to Extra!!

HS0ZDF

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »
Name: Thomas Eric Johnson
Callsign: AH6MQ
Email address: tejohnsonphd@yahoo.com
Test element(s) you want to take Extra Exam

I would need some lead time, may be one month, to study for the exam. I will start studying soon in anticipation of the VE testing.
Regards,
Tom

hs0zdp

Re: Local VE Testing for U.S. Amateur Licenses - Q & A
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 08:39:25 PM »
As we continue our preparations to offer local volunteer examiner (VE) testing for U.S. Amateur Licences, we will post some answers to various questions relating to these tests.  If you have a question, please post it here and we will do our best to determine the correct answers and post them here.

1. Can I take any of the exam materials, scratch paper, etc. with me after completing the exam?

No. You are not allowed to leave the test site with any materials, other than what you brought with you. No candidate may be permitted to retain answer sheets, test booklets, scratch paper, or any other related exam materials. When a candidate completes any element, he or she is to return all materials pertaining to the test to the administering VEs.

2. What happens if a testing candidate is found cheating?

Any candidate found cheating on any exam will have his or her examination terminated immediately, and must be issued a failing grade regardless of how well that person is doing on the test.  At the testing team's discretion. a candidate found  cheating may or may not receive credit for any other element(s) successfully completed before being discovered.

3. Can I use a Thai-English dictionary (or other language to English dictionary) or any other aids during the exam?

No. The candidates must put away any headsets, books, papers, or earphones they may have brought with them to the session. No "crib notes" or other written assistance is permitted once the exams are begun. Using any kind of aid on the test, other than a calculator, is not allowed. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free of notes. ((If the slide rule or tables have items like formulas printed on them, they can not be used.)) Candidates found using unauthorized aids will have their exams terminated and will be assigned failing grades. They will then be dismissed from the test session.

4. Can I leave my cellphone turned on during the test?

No. Cellphones and pagers should be turned off during the test.  If they are not turned off, they should be left with someone outside the testing room. Once a candidate begins a test element, they will not be permitted to leave the room until they turn in their tests.

5. Can I use an electronic calculator on the test?

Yes, but, all calculator memories must be cleared.