Author Topic: New ELECRAFT KX3 portable transceiver @ $ 799 (?)  (Read 11447 times)

Offline HS0ZAC

Re: New ELECRAFT KX3 portable transceiver @ $ 799 (?)
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
Yes, I have all the forms. I saved them. Paid the import tax. NOT counting the shipping from the U.S., it cost me almost 10,000 baht in various Thai fees. Crazy, but I got it quickly. But, I got it in the country completely legally. Now another 27,000 baht for the type approval.

I have another one, this time the kit, coming in about 3 weeks.

And, another one going to my office in the U.S. in about a week.

I have this one working with MacLogger and working with my iPad as a pan adapter and am able to tune in frequencies via the iPad.

I'll bring it to the next RAST meeting before I take it in for type approval.

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
Here's a picture of my KX3 I took. I'm really trying to do everything the correct and legal way here, like I did with my Elecraft K2 before. So wish me luck with getting it type approved. Then everyone else can get one here fairly cheaply. We really need modern rigs in Thailand. The Elecraft paddle that attaches to the KX3 is back ordered, so I'm using the my Palm paddle.

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »
Paul good to hear you have all of them (forms). I believe it is the yellow one that they look at but its been a while since i did my kenwood....I will be interested in your success....

73 marc hs0zju

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »
My second KX3 is on the way to my office in the U.S. and I'll have it to use on a trip to Texas later this month.

My third KX3 is now on it's way to Thailand. This one is a kit. I'll be sure to keep all the paper works to get the NBTC type approval sticker.

I'm hoping by doing it this way, I'll have first hand experience to share with other on how to do it legally and get them type acceptance. What you can do and can't do is a bit fuzzy and poorly defined. All you can do is try to do the best you can and make any course correction they tell you that you must do.

Wish me luck in navigating the type acceptance journey.

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »
Well
just wonder usually the rig has to be submitted within 7 days  to NBTC for inspection .....

just recently heared the rumor that NBTC  did some mod's to a rig according to band coverage -TX and RX-
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:02:33 AM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »
Well, I'm trying to do everything correctly. Didn't see anything that said I had 7 days. Thai's like rules a bit fuzzy, but they are usually also pretty forgiving. If I have a problem, I'll just take this rig back to the U.S. and send one of my other one's here. I'll bring the rig to the meeting Sunday and demo it talking and being controled by MacLogger and using my iPad as and pan adapter

I'm letting John be my guide here. He has discussed it with a guy from the NBTC and they are revising some forms or something and said to wait until next week. I just the dumb forang here and I don't think it's wise to argue with the NBTC.

My Thai friends say I'm NOT forang now, that I'm completely Thai. I just try to be polite and muddle my way through. Where I live the most and spend most of my money, Thailand or the U.S. is still up in the air. I'd like to buy a big chunk of land in Khao Yai and put up 2 beams. A M2 KT-36XA tribander and a 7 & 10-30LP8-125 log periodic for 10 to 40 meters. And, put them up about 25 to 30 meters. I can put the land in my son or daughter's name, since they and both Thai and U.S. passports. I'll probably put the same to beams up on a lake in Texas on some property I have my eye on. The 7 & 10-30LP8-125 log periodic is pretty cool. Look at it here:

http://www.m2inc.com/index.php?ax=amateur&pg=34   

I plan on a separate ham shack on the hill in Khao Yai with bath and bunks so club members can come operate some. I want to talk with Yaesu at the club meeting about getting the FTDX-5000MP to donate to the club when I deal get's completed and one for my Khao Yai station.

I'm importing both the assembled and kit KX3, via UPS and the much cheaper International Express Mail so I can give a first had report on the process to the club for others to benefit some.

I'm going to get a Alpha 9500 amp for the U.S. station.

Paul

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »
I'd like to buy a big chunk of land in Khao Yai and put up 2 beams. A M2 KT-36XA tribander and a 7 & 10-30LP8-125 log periodic for 10 to 40 meters. And, put them up about 25 to 30 meters. I can put the land in my son or daughter's name, since they and both Thai and U.S. passports. I'll probably put the same to beams up on a lake in Texas on some property I have my eye on. The 7 & 10-30LP8-125 log periodic is pretty cool. Look at it here:

http://www.m2inc.com/index.php?ax=amateur&pg=34   
The LP will make a great search antenna they have about the same performance as a 2el yagi at the higher bands and a 21m height would have no big high angle lobes on the 4 main bands. The M2 is the finest tribander ever made IMO; I had an earlier version up 21m in W6 and got half way up the honor roll with it. 30m would be a great height for DXing.

GL with the NBTC; we long for the day when we can follow simple published rules and not rely on rumors and pals.

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »
Hey good news I see on the RAST page that 2 HF-6m FT2000 were donated. So no doubt they also had an import permit and will be inspected by NBTC soon as well...

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
Yes, I had a KT-34XA in Southern California for 15 years with no trouble at about 60 feet. My backyard was on a golf course  going down a valley and when the 60 MPH Santa Anna winds blew with gust higher it looked like a giant bird of prey trying to take off. It was on a 55ft self supporting crank up. I kept wait for it to come down, but it lasted 15 years in some VERY high winds. So I figure the slighted bigger KT36XA around 25 to 30 meters would do good. The LP is never as good as a Yagi, but it gives me 10 thru 40 meters with good FB and side rejection. Your right, not that much gain. And it's rated a for 125 MPH wind.

I listened to the Yaesu guy operating with his Thai call of HS0ZKS and having them QSL to his US call two evening. MAN, I wish I was that good of a CW op. 30 WPM head copy is by goal when I retire. He's a real nice guy and offered to help me get the best deal on the FTDX-5000MP for RAST when I get my buyout complete.

I really hope I can get the KX3's stickered in Thailand. If not, it just might be enough to make me decide to move back to Texas to retire. The NBTC seems like it's trying to move things into modern times. It just takes SO LONG for things to happen in Thailand. I'm 65 and in the long run I'll be dead. I REALLY hope I can get the KX3's certified.

Paul

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
Well, I got my KX3 kit and put it together. It took as long to get the notification paper and get it out of the post office as it took for the postal service to get it from Elecraft in California TO Bangkok. It WAS much cheaper than UPS. It cost only $79 to ship it to Thailand. The import duty and other fees was the same as UPS. John came over last night to look at the kit and play radio some. Since I'm going to Texas for 3 weeks this coming week, he kindly offered to take it to NBTC for me with the new club rigs donated by Yaesu. So I hope that by the next meeting I'll have two KX3's with Thai type approval stickers.

I figure he has incentive to get the type approval quickly so he can give them a good test while I'm in the U.S.  :D :)

I'll be OK. My 3rd KX3 is waiting for me in Texas!

I LOVE THIS RADIO!  :D

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
Here's a couple of pictures.

First, the KX3 kit after assembly and with a small loop of wire around the 16mhz oscillator during alignment. You can see the ATU in the upper right. And the roofing filters on the small vertical board on the upper left.

Then a picture of both of my Thai KX3's.

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
Well, sent my KX3's off to the NBTC almost 4 weeks ago. Still waiting. Even with John knowing the ropes, it still takes a long time. Meantime went back to Texas for 3 weeks. Got all 3 of the Elecraft KXPD3 paddles that were back ordered when I got my rigs. My 3rd KX3 was waiting for me when I got back. Put the KXPD3 paddle on the front and use it a lot from the states. Worked europe a lot sitting under the cover porch area of the house that is facing west. Worked europe with the KX3 and my portable Alexloop with the signal going through the house and only 5 watts. What you can do with the combination is amazing. Didn't even bother to use my Buddipole Long Deluxe package.

Now, if I could just get my KX3's certified.

Got of the plane from Texas about 11PM Saturday night and still went to the RAST meeting the next morning. I guess we'll get a new band plan with all the Region 3 bands usable in Thailand sometime early next year. It would sure be nice to bring one of my Yaesu FT-817's to Thailand and get it certified.

I think we're going to see flooding in Bangkok again this year. Sure glad we are getting the new club station set up on the 4th floor. Should have that operational by December. Let's hope.

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »
I guess the latest word is the NBTC is not going to certify any new model rigs until they get the rules revised with 6 meters formalize. Probably another 2 months or so. I'm legal to "listen" with the rigs until then. No certification yet. More waiting.  :'(

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 08:58:23 PM »
Please update from nbtc? Did you have to pay them? Did they pass but didnt get approved because of the current rules.

RAST talks a good game but when it comes to actions that seems to be another story.