Author Topic: Legal HF/VHF Radios in Thailand  (Read 35422 times)

Offline HS0ZIA

Re: Legal HF/VHF Radios in Thailand
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 06:59:29 AM »
This issue is about a law that affects hams in Thailand, it is not a customs rate issue.

"Where a legal risk exists I think it would be wiser to consult a professional rather than expect RAST or any of it's officers to be of much real help."

Yes that is most unfortunately true in my experience. One would have thought though that the RAST would at least have the basic human decency to point out that a legal requirement exists at all in the case of importing ham antennas, but they have chosen instead to completely ignore the issue and continue to put its members at risk. Shame shame....

Offline k4hyz

« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »
Ok here is the info on antennas. This is from personal experience and not hearsay.  You can get a letter from rast (for antenna import) at no charge if you are a member .  Take letter and hs license and 200baht to nbtc apply for your import permit..........

When you get your permit have your antenna shipped air cargo. When it arrives have your shipping come clear it or go to bangkok freight services and clear it yourself (some thai language is necessary).

The fees

1. 1% duty  on the invoice
2. 7% VAT  on the invoice
3  200-300 terminal fee
4 storage fee 100 or so a day
5 if clearing yourself after hours 500 baht customs OT. I recommend going on a sat or sun as it is not busy.  Pay the 500 baht....

Thats about it my total  was less then $100 usd

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »
If not could give you immediated access to "Bangkok Hilton" - for not less then 5 years.

Even 1m 50 Ohm cable without the right licenses - "Bangkok Hilton"

SRI! That is the licensing here - pls review the thread on the forum about the VHF handheld in Phuket.

It's time to start lobbying against draconian and obsolete laws. Hungry men who stole a chicken were executed in Nazi Germany. ** That guy from Singapore with a FT-60 was not licensed. And did he get "5 years in jail"? No! What gives? There should be some progress and an evolution. Take 50 Mhz. Why not grant this QRG for a few select contest weekends?

Slavish acceptance of "the law" and stating "swallow this bitter pill because this is true ham spirit is wrong IMHO.

Like in the fairy tale of "The Emperor without clothes" someone has to be the child who cries "the emperor is naked"!!

Hs is a wonderful country. Alerting and reminding the authorities of absurd and bizarre laws from days gone by would be in the country's best interest as well.

While I'm no advocate of piracy, these laws are outlandish! These laws are also almost irrelevant in the real world as no judge awards such penalties. Even that pirate was held for long... And all without due process and he had to stay put in some guesthouse without his passport. If this is how such a law gets applied in the real world, it better gets changed!!!
Mobile: 082 5766 516
E-mail: kf6vci@gmail.com

Offline HS0ZLJ

FT-920
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »
Been at NBTC this afternoon and was trying my luck to get an import license for my FT-920. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a type approval for this rig. They were very helpful and double checked but to no avail. One suggestion was to bring it in for temporary use, but this causes more logistic issues than advantages. And type approval for 20kTHB+ is not really worth the effort. Perhaps when someone would share the cost.

Suggest that the FT-920 is taken off the list.

Cheers,
Marcus
HS0ZLJ
Marcus, Chiang Mai
Y44RI / DL4AKB / 9V1AG / HS0ZLJ

Offline HS0ZLW

• CW and Contest fan
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
Well we are now in a strange situation, where the notice of July says that we are allowed to use 50MHz and 430-440MHz, but NBTC will not approve any radio sets that have those frequencies for use, which means we can't import and/or use such radios in Thailand.

I too have an FT-920 that I would like to get approved, but despite your comment of having to pay 20K+ to go through type-approval, it would not pass the approval process because it is capable of transmitting on the 50MHz band. No radio capable of transmitting on 50MHz (or 430-440MHz for that matter) has yet been approved. It is possible that some sneaked through during the last amnesty (20-odd years ago?), but I was not in Thailand at that time so I do not know for sure.

Out of curiosity, what are the rules regarding bringing a radio in for temporary use? What are the requirements, and what are the restrictions?

Best regards and 73,

Scott
HS0ZLW
Scott Earle,
HS0ZLW, G0SWG

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »
Hey Scott,

I spoke to that big guy with the one star on his shoulders, they all wear uniforms now. No idea what his position is, but he was the boss. There was no problem to get the FT-920 into the country. He even suggested to use it "temporarily". Whatever that exactly means, I did not inquire further. But the real issue is the type approval and that is costly. If we could gear up, I'd be happy to do that. Still expensive but doable.

Marcus, HS0ZLJ
Marcus, Chiang Mai

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »
Dear Marcus,

well if you haven't imported it proper than forget to think about type approval!

They let the rig in but you will not be able to have a legal registered rig even if you try - only way carry it out and come back with proper documents and declaration at the customers (you need yellow or blue 3 receipt's!!)

http://forum.rast.or.th/index.php?topic=66.0

By the way the FT920 is in the list of approved rig's so there will be not type approval needed - but to be able to register it legal import documents are necessary.   ;-)

73 de hs0zfz

Swen

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:53:40 PM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »
Hey Swen,

Maybe it was not exactly clear what I wrote :).

The rig is still in SG, I tried to get the import license @NBTC. The guy on the left checked in their database and the FT920 was not in. Then we went to the big boss on the right, had some talks, they checked it again and could not find it. After which the big guy suggested to bring it in temporarily. I haven't asked further what that was supposed to mean, my bad.

Anyway, the FT920 may be on the RAST list of approved transceivers, but it is certainly not in the database of NBTC. Meaning it is not possible to import it and get it legalized without costly type approval.

73 & Happy New Year :)
Marcus
Marcus, Chiang Mai

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
That is the problem with the digital century at NBTC which probably started only 5 years ago.
All rig's registered before are not on a record list - that is why you should try to find somebody who has one officially and get the doc's copied - with that it's usually not a problem at all.

The doc's are probably somewhere in NBTC but difficult to find them in all the piles of documents under the desks above cupboard or behind shelves. ;-)

73 de hs0zfz

Swen
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:06:40 AM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »
Oh my, thanks Swen. Wie abgedreht geht es denn noch :)

I actually know one FT920. Not official. Not much hope here.

If someone has the old papers, we are 2 that would buy a couple of beers to get the rigs stamped. Come forward  :D
Marcus, Chiang Mai