Author Topic: Legal HF/VHF Radios in Thailand  (Read 35396 times)

Offline paul

Re: Legal HF Radios in Thailand
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »
 I WAS GETTING SO EXCITED  TOO !!!!

WE WILL ALL HAVE TO JOIN THE  MILITARY
HI HI     PAUL HS0ZIN
PAUL hs0zin

hs0zdy

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »
Hi all
2 additions to the list

1) FT1000 (without any suffix) This first version is also approved.
2) IC701 (The IC710 is the local JA-version which is what I have and that is the radio that has been checked, BUT the documentation was for IC701 as the 710 documents are all in Japanese. Based on this I think we can assume 701 is also approved.)

73's
Sam HS0ZDY

Offline HS0ZIP

• HS0ZIP aka KC7X
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 04:58:47 PM »

OK... I avoid having anything to do with Thai politics, and in this case, I believe the 50MHz restriction comes from the Thai military... but being a crude Yank, I am either stupid or crazy enough to ask the question... Is there any way that we collectively can petition Thailand to accept most MODERN transceivers that include 50MHz?? I promise, I won't listen on 6 meters!!!  :) Really!!!  :) They don't have to make 6 meters a legal band here, just allow MODERN radios into the country. And they will collect a lot more in import taxes from newer rigs being brought into the country at the same time!!!  ::)

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
50 MHz - Legal HF Radios in Thailand
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »
Dear Rick,

well there is something going on ... :)

The NTC knows about that problem already and they are "thinking" to legalise rig's with 50 MHz include. Our contact (Mr. 10-20%) is working on that... will see when he is coming up with an solution for that.

The fact is really that the 50 MHz are allocated to the the Military and they do not want somebody listen to there conversations ... any way I think they also have the devices to scrabble or decript the voice or what ever is on there ... finally the military even does not use this band anymore and the TV channels also already moved .... LET's go NTC and issuse it to the HAM even if it's secondary! - HI!

Well if the NTC allows 50 MHz on rig's that DOES NOT means they will allocate it to us immedeately ... that would be a wish but we have to keep that wish until the regulation with the rig's passed - Not everything on the same time! - That is too much!

Then the next problem will appeare each new Rig has to be approved because the NTC they does not believe the commerial Manufacture's spec's!
Each Rig investigation will cost round 20000 - 25000 Baht for the Type approval ... which usually is shared by the first 3 Rig registerations ...  - That was in the past the case. I do not think we could get all HAM's on one Rig type ... but maybe the manufacture could sponser it (where are the Ham's with the right connections to the manufacture to get them involved!) maybe for the most common Rig's!!! - But HS is a really rare market!! For this approval they have to get 2 rig's to listen to each other ... - HI!
The next step would be to approve mobile rig's to push mobile operations in HS but then the most rig's have already 2m and 70cm in incl. - that is another step "another page of the book" to pass again ....

Beware of somebody how promiss you to register any rig's ... for HAM operation the NTC registeration number has to begin with 1 and NOT with 3 as for Marine Rig's!!!!!!!!!!!

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:49:42 PM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 09:56:40 PM »
That's just about the most promising news I have heard on this matter for a long time. Certainly since the majority of radios made today include 50MHz coverage it is rather hard to not force this matter at some point. I think the solution needs to be a bit more generic though other than just including 50MHz coverage. Many radios, even those without 50MHz coverage, include 5MHz transmit capability for the widely accepted 60m band. It is also likely that manufacturers may start to add capability to operate in LF areas around 137KHz or 500KHz as allocations in these areas become more widely taken up. Below 30MHz I think there is less concern and hence less difficulty in perhaps getting this passed but it would be unfortunate to have a situation where the current restrictive coverage approach were perpetuated.

Since hams are licensed, rigs are registered and pretty much every other detail is known it should not be to difficult to adjust the policy to be less specific but more targeted.

On the encryption/scrambling thing. The hardware is certainly in place and has been for a long time but the know how in using it I have always found incredibly lacking. It's easier just to prevent others from being there, or always has been in the past. Perhaps hams could arrange training courses to teach the government users how to better utilise deploy and operate secure communications.

Martin, HS0ZED

Offline paul

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
I think you have the wrong forum  :-[
PAUL hs0zin

HS0ZDF

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
I believe the TS 920 is actually the TS 520.

HS0ZGW

Importing / customs rate
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 12:04:25 PM »
The correct HS (Harmonized System) Code for Amateur Radio equipment should be 85252016 but it is according to the Thai Customs Website (www.customs.go.th) not applied in the Kingdom. According to the attached picture, the valid duty rate should be only 5 % (plus 7 % VAT). However there remain the following problems:

a.) Convince the customs to apply this HS Code (they might in most cases suggest a 20 % rate)
b.) Agree on a fair value in case of used equipment (they might consider the new price for valuation)
c.) I don't know what happens if you cannot prepare any invoice

I recently imported by post various items from the US. Delivery went smoothly, but I was charged 20 % plus 7 % for all items (including wireman cable, MFJ Noise Cancelling unit, Icom DSP unit). The customs rate was already decided, so in order to pick up the box at the Post Office, I was required to pay the taxes in cash.
Anyway, I ended up paying the same prices as in Europe approx., benefiting from the weak US Dollar.

From my professional experience however I have to say, that the Thai Customs is one of the most difficult state agencies to deal with, so be prepared for surprises.
I am planning as well to take my FT-1000 MP MKV Field from DL, but I am scared to pay 20,000 THB import taxes. So I will think twice.

73's
Uwe

Offline HS0ZIQ

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
Hello,

I recently imported a FT 1000 MP MKV.

As long as you have the Import Papers with you at hand all runs smoothly, well in Phuket Airport was OK.

Expect to pay 4000-5000 Bht most of this is Broker Fee's.

73's

John
HS0ZIQ

HS0ZGW

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »
Hi,

tnx for the info. You just took it with you (with the import license in your hands) and how did it work when you arrived at the customs at the airport. Guess you had no invoice nor HS code?
My concern is, that very much could depend on the mood of the officer....

Uwe

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »
That's right all up to the mood of the officer ... well you even have to force "wake" them - HI! - to get your stamp and get rip of the duty! But you have to get it there is no other chance ...

By the way the import licence is valid for 6 month (200 Baht)... includes the Type and serial number if I' am right ...

For used gear (rig's) maybe you should prepare a proforma invoice ...

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:15:22 PM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

HS0ZJI

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
Where do I get the forms to import a radio?  Can I download them from the internet?
Where do I submit the form and pay the fee? Is there a place in Ayuthaya?

Larry
HS0ZJI

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 07:33:49 AM »
Dear Larry,

well the import licences form I do not have .. they are individually issued after request! - Forms only at NTC BKK, Phaholyothin Rd. Soi 8
(Open from Mon- Fri ~8:30 - ~16:30)

NTC has some regional office (total 8 or 9 offices upcountry) but even they are not handling the import licence for that is only BKK responsible!

Form and Import Licence should be issued at 1st fl. / Cashier 2nd fl..

NTC Location BKK:
Phaholyothin Rd. Soi 8

NTC is on the almost end of the soi on left hand side. The licencing building is if you enter NTC plot that building on the front far right side (just at the corner - front right corner of the plot!)

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

HS0ZGW

Re: Legal HF/VHF Radios in Thailand
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »
Hi Swen,

which details I need to apply for the import license?

Manufacturer
Model Type
Serial Number
Proforma Invoice? (my FT-1000 MP MkV Field is about 7 yo or so, what would be a reasoable value, I assume 30 - 40 k THB, so that would end up paying about 4,000 - 5,000 THB import fees (5 % duty, 7 % Import VAT). Who would be the proper issuer of the Import license?

Where do my mom (who will carry the good piece) will have to declare the import? Is it in the arrival hall, which I could not enter when picking her up? Or is it in the public area?

Tnx es 73
Uwe

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
Re: Legal HF/VHF Radios in Thailand
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »
HI Uwe,

RAST has to issue an recommendation Letter which enables you to apply for the import licences.

The import License will be issued by NTC - of course!! (but be aware NTC does not issue them now - it's still flooding until the court decision of the responsibilities of NTC! - 3G Story - LoL!)

I'am just trying to get an import licenses and callsign for some fellows - HI!

Manufacturer
Model Type
Serial Number
Proforma Invoice? not more then 30k!

Copy HS License, RAST Membership card, Passport, Visa, Station license, house registeration, etc. !

of course copies to support or which could help!

well that would be nice this rig is here on the market (registered of course for ~ 55,000 Baht!)

As usual the customs duty are to be declared at the customs! even if she has to force them to get it stamped and pay the duty + 7%VAT - which is quite flexible and negotiatable!! - HI! It's not in the public area! The customs has 2 channels - Green (Nothing to declare!) and Red (Goods to declare!) - of course the red channel would be the one of choice! - HI!

Onces the rig passed the customs it has to be presented at the NTC for review and check-up/confirming the spec's - before it will get any sticker!

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

P.S. Do you still plan to attend the RAST meeting coming sunday? well I will be absent but HS0ZEU - Man will be there and he could be your guide to get around incl. the "AFU Stammtisch". I will be there in Dec again!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:47:54 PM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2