Author Topic: Legal HF/VHF Radios in Thailand  (Read 35471 times)

Offline HS0ZIB

Re: Legal HF/VHF Radios in Thailand
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 06:23:30 AM »
Can someone more knoweldgable than me advise on the current situation for importing a second-hand HF rig that is NOT on the list of approved makes/models, but does NOT have any authorised bands (such as 6 meters), AND has  IEC 60489-2, EN  300 676 or AZ/NZS 4583 testing and certification?

I understand from previous posts in this thread that it MAY be possible to get NTC authorisation without the need to pay the hefty testing fee and provide a second, identical rig for their tests.

I already have a locally-purchased HF rig here for several years, but am interested to operate HF mobile, and a used, HF mobile rig would suit me very nicely.

Thanks

Simon

Teru

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
OM!

Please update your tranceiver!

DE JM2HBO Teru
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:36:05 PM by HS0ZFZ »

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
Dear Teru,

I actually do not know what your are asking for this list is up-to-date.

There is not newer rig righht now available which has NBTC  type approval.

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Teru

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
When I will arrive Bangkok,  Can I work IC-731 IN HS?
 :)

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »
1. If you are RAST member
2. HS callsign holder  - JA does not have reciprocal agreement with HS - so Sri no HS callsign
3.  Rig import license and have that rig register with NBTC
4. Station license holder

If you can answer all the above with YES - then it could be possible that you can work.from HS!
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

Teru

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »
Swen OM

Thanks your information.

DE JM2HBO Teru

Offline vu2kuc

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
IS IT ALLOWED IN THAILAND WHEN A FOREIGN HAM VISITS
THAILAND FOR ONE OR TWO MONTHS STAY AND BRING IT BACK( HF EQUPMENT LIKE ICOM-718) WHICH HE BROUGHTS WITH HIM.
IS IT ALLOWED?

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »
SRI!

It's not allowed!
Like I said in the previous post if you can answer the step by step with yes - then processed to the next step!
If not could give you immediated access to "Bangkok Hilton" - for not less then 5 years.

Even 1m 50 Ohm cable without the right licenses - "Bangkok Hilton"

SRI! That is the licensing here - pls review the thread on the forum about the VHF handheld in Phuket.

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »
Yeah I think it's 5 years per meter of coax in your possession. Worse than North Korea or any other country in the world.

I am facing the death penalty for the antennas I brought in.

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »
Well I do not think so - HI!

Do you already got the coax cable up there - well you have all that licenses
e.g callsign, rig registeration and station license we where talking about!

:-)

So nothing to worry about!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:35:01 PM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »
Well here's a very simple question that someone as knowledgeable as yourself should have no trouble answering for us then:

-Is an import permit required from the NBTC for a ham antenna (unlike any other country in the world)?

Thanks very much for your answer and 73.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:30:58 PM by N6BK »

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »
Yes!

Import of Hamradio ant. - you have to get an import license @ NBTC!

I went 2 weeks ago to BKK airport to pickup an ant. with HS0ZJU.
Customs wanted to see the import permit from NBTC.
No problem we had the permit!
 :)

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:21 AM »
Indeed this seems to have been a well kept secret until recently, certainly seems it was unheard of until about 2-3 years ago. It's good that word is now getting around but here's the question. With the import permit what customs duty was levied? How about VAT? Any other charges, broker etc?

I can't recall now but I understood there was some confusion as to whether or not you could get an antenna import permit depending on if you specify you want the antenna for transmitting or receiving (or even both!). Can you clarify?

Cheers
Martin

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 07:15:21 AM »
Yes a well kept secret. WHY? Why is all this information (that no one anywhere else in the entire world would even expect) not plainly available on the RAST website? I took the plan for my station to a RAST meeting a year or so ago and not a single mention about needing an import permit. An epic ethical fail on the part of the RAST putting its own members in legal jeopardy. Especially pathetic since I already brought this to the attention of at least 2 RAST officials. Unbelievable really to be let down by my fellow hams this way....

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »
I think there are a lot of things going on here. Up until fairly recently there was very little importing of ham gear, the reciprocal changes, essentially tripling or more, the number of active HF hams has generated a lot more 'business' for the customs department. Whereas in the past the matter of an import license for antennas was seemingly never raised in fact it was classified by customs as something else and appropriate duties (fines) paid, all in the course of getting the thing released. Thailand's participation in the harmonized coding for imports and exports has changed this somewhat and the rules are being more strictly enforced, as the international community requires. These 2 things taken together means every experience is currently leading to a new and better understanding of how the rules are being applied, this of course in the absence of a rule book means that there will likely be a number of more new stories to build the picture which of course changes over time.

Putting this on the web site might help to some extent but there is a risk of it being partially anecdotal and leading to a somewhat false sense of security. If anybody can really get their head around all of the, sometimes conflicting, import regulations it may be possible to be a bit more precise but consider that transmitting and receiving antennas can be imported as different entities, nobody told customs about reciprocity. Aluminum has a different duty rate to other materials, so your primarily fibreglass Ultrabeam might attract a different rate. The number and variety of regulations on the Thai customs books multiplied by the number of customs personnel multiplied by however many emotional states they are prone to can lead to more answers than there are questions. The reality is that even if you want to play by the rules it's not easy to learn what they will be on the day you want to play.

Where a legal risk exists I think it would be wiser to consult a professional rather than expect RAST or any of it's officers to be of much real help.

In addition to Thailand, India, Indonesia, a number of African countries and a large part of the middle East all require import permits for pretty much anything relating to any form of communications including antennas. Sometimes Amateur radio material is exempt, as I believe are morse keys in Thailand, go figure! In others, like Thailand amateur radio is on a par with commercial communication operations.

Regards
Martin