Author Topic: What-s in your shack?  (Read 4093 times)

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
What-s in your shack?
« on: August 28, 2010, 03:57:08 PM »
All I got is that serial cable to practice sending on a computer.
It's time to change that. http://www.eham.net/articles/24447

We really should lobby so that Thai hams can find a way to bring affordable HF transceivers to Thais
Personally, I like QRP. A SW+ starts at $ 60 plus enclosure for DX shipping from www.smallwonderlabs.com One of my first QSOs was with Tom DL2HRF and his code was sounding sweet, much better than with his commercial rig. On field day, I watched an OP throw 25 feet of wire over a branch, then working dozens of countries QRP ( 5 Watts or less). And that was in the pre-Elecraft era.

Schools should get a ashack, too. Students could integrate the hobby with scients classes and practice some English when they are at it. I'm sure thousands would sign up and study hard. Their brains are capable of learning CW many times faster than an old fart like me. And the hobby is young, exciting and relevant - not about obsolete technology and Old Fartmanship  :D

Remember building a kite then flying it?

Or just go to a supermarket and buy a plastic one.

There is a huge school nearby - maybe we can get something going? Some English lessons, some electronics, and them getting their "ticket"? A small school station would be great.

Let the kids explore reality versus virtual computer worlds in which they are shooting up zombies

Chris

Mobile: 082 5766 516
E-mail: kf6vci@gmail.com

Offline G0MIH

Re: What-s in your shack?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »
Hi Chris.
Well I'm hopping to be over mid January 2011 and I love QRP. I will be bring a new bit of kit with me for 80meters but do I need to get an inport licence for it?

Kind Regards.

Paul (G0MIH)

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:56:34 PM »
Import licenses - Yes of course! otherwise you are an owner of an illegal rig! - 5 jail!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:58:54 PM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
Well, I got my Elecraft K2 certified here, but that is hardly a cheap HF rig. But, at least it's legal to import into Thailand. When I brought it to the RAST meeting, everyone seems surprised that I had the sticker on it. I won't have it in time for next Sunday's August RAST meeting at the new station location, but I hope to have a legal KX3 at the September meeting. I am hopeful. But, maybe I'll have a sad tale of woe and be out 27000 baht for trying plus shipping from and then to the U.S.

I agree. It would sure be nice to see the young Thais have some cheap QRP CW monobanders like Wilderness Radio one I built in America. I love the DSW20 and DSW40 I built.

Should I design one and have a PC card made and kits made up for a RAST club project?

Paul
HS0ZAC / W5MMT

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »
What are you worried about getting the KX3 inspected? Don't the NBTC know what bands it can go on before they issued you the import permit?

I like the Ten-tec Orion2. No 6m band but it has the US 5 mHz band on it so I don't know if that's an issue here.

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
I don't know. I'm doing this the first time, under the new rules. Whatever they are.

My hope is the that new NBTC seems more modern in their thinking that the old regulatory agency here. NBTC seems to be acting more like the FCC in America. Colonel John seems to think we can do it. He is helping me, for which I am grateful. But, I have great hopes that the NBTC is working for a more progressive, modern Thailand.

If I can't, maybe I just give up and move back the the states after I retire. But, I've had good luck here. My daughter here has a Thai and a U.S. passport. Hopefully next year my 3 year old son will have both. I hope at least one of them will be a ham too.  :)

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »
When I brought the Elecraft K2 in about 10 years ago, I had the import license. But, I had to get a new ROM from Elecraft with hard band edges before they would certify it a give me the little sticker on it that said it's legal in Thailand. But, I'm told that is relaxed that now. You just don't know what will happen until you have that sticker on the rig. It will be the first rig brought in with 6 meters that I know of without special dispensation. I think I am breaking some ground here for the rest of us.

It's a test run for the Yaesu FT-5000MP that I want to bring in and donate to RAST. Maybe they say NO to both of them. All you can do is try.

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
I don't know. I'm doing this the first time, under the new rules. Whatever they are.
Those who would prefer to obey the law here can only look forward to the day when the rules are transparently available to all.

GL on the import permits and subsequent inspections; no doubt there are many hams here standing by for your report.

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »

Dear OM,

Well almost 6 month ago an OM received an import permit for the TS-590S ...
That was when the "new rules" were in place .... anyhow he skip plan and returned the import permit.

Nowadays you can obtain import licences for every rig model (incl. 6m Band once!) ...
After import and import tax duty clearance you have to sent the rig for type approval at NBTC.

That is not a new procedure it's same as every time back in the past - exception is the extended rig pool - that's it.

GD DX!

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

P.S. Just recently NBTC denied a grant for an rig import permit 'coz of Pout exceeding 200W!  8-)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:08:59 AM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
OK that's good news then and it sounds like the NBTC is studying the specs before issuing the import permit. I am guessing that both the KX3 and FT5000 also have 5 mHz capability so it should be clear soon enough if that's going to be an issue..Do they still want 2 identical radios and 27k baht to inspect for a new model type approval?

Offline HS0ZAC

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
In the HF section, I mentioned that my first Elecraft KX3 is now on it's way to Thailand. I also showed a picture of the inside of my K2 with the Thai sticker on the outside front edge. I"m trying, as always, to do everything the legal way. Assuming I get the KX3 legal, after I get my buyout money and buy the Yaesu FT-5000MP for RAST,  I might even buy a KX3 for the young Thai's to use on their DXpeditions.

Charley asked me to bring my rig and my Buddipole and AlexLoop Walkham to the meeting this Sunday to do another check of the noise level there. So, anyone making it to the meeting will get a chance to see them. IF I get approval quickly from the NBTC I will bring the KX3 to September's meeting or more likely the October meeting.

If you are respectful of the Thai way of doing things, I've had really good luck here. After all, IT'S THAILAND,  not the U.S. They have a right to do it their way.