Author Topic: RFI Power Line noise, what to do?  (Read 2175 times)

HS0ZGW

RFI Power Line noise, what to do?
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:20:22 AM »
Dear Friends,

I got all over the spectrum a power line noise level of S 9 - 9+20 dB. My station is now up and running for about 6 months. I can't do any QSO unless the counterpart is extremely strong and the propagation is outstanding. I bought an MFJ Noise Canceling Unit which however can not take out all the noise, but sometimes brings it down to S7.
Before I will give up my hobby (which I would really regret), I would like to know the legal situation. We got RFI coming out of every wall socket in the house, which is not a good thing. We are very close to a transformer in front of the house, which according to my simple measurements probably is the source of the problem. We tried to contact PEA, but as you can imagine, nobody is interested in this problem and they said that they don't have the equipment to measure the RFI level (I can do it with my little scanner though!).

Does anybody knows a valuable contact to get in touch with? Anybody experienced similar problem and got them solved?
And btw....I will not sell the house to enjoy HAM radio, that's out of question hi

Just drop me a line if you can help ustobbe(@)gmail.com

Thanks and have a nice Sunday.
Uwe
HS0ZGW

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
Re: RFI Power Line noise, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Hi Uwe,

well I can imagine how it is! maybe I had some luck .... well selling the house would be one choice - but you do not want to do it - well you also do not know about the new QTH - here is everywhere RFI!

Well I recommend you to visit one of the coming RAST meetings in BKK incl. the "german Stammtisch" in the afternoon - there you will meet the real experienced OM's who already brought some Suburbans almost clean of RFI! who are also willing to help to locate the scources!

Hope to see you at the coming RAST meeting 05.09.2010 - 11:00 onwards - first Sunday of each month ... well sometimes also OM's from Pattaya coming - maybe you could join them if you do not want to come alone - HI! if you need some contact number welcome ... HI!

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:40:54 PM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

HS0ZGW

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:29:28 AM »
Hiya Swen,

I intended to come this weekend but I refer to take another rest from my 2 weeks in hospital. I am sure to join in October and certainly will attend the Stammtisch to discuss. So far all my contacts and people I know could not help me out. Seems I have to wait for a major lightening hit into the powerline or a blow up of the transformer hi hi

Cheers and have fun on Sunday!
Uwe

HS0ZGW

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
Hi Swen

wanted to go last Sunday to the meeting, but the arrival of my new 2m antenna was delayed so I had to stay home.
I am still clueless how to proceed with my RFI Noise. I started to create an interference log and made some pics of the transformer pole and my antenna. I don't know who to approach though. All the guys I know said, yes, we will try to find out, but there has been no positive feedback. How many HF amateurs are there in Thailand? I can't imagine that I am the only one to have that problem.
Just now I am a big crocodile station (big mouth, small ears) and I rarely doubt to call CQ as I can only copy a handful of stations running huge antennas and KW's.
It's a mess!

73s, hope to make it to the meeting in November.

Uwe
HS0ZGW

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:02:22 PM »

Hi Uwe,

well you should know 99.8% are VHF amateurs ... in total ~ 300,000 HAM's but out of this there are only ~150 HF Ham's who are active on air from time to time ... frequently there maybe 50 HAM's on air (considering only the natives!) - the HS0Zxx are almost 97.5% on air ...

RFI is a very big problem in some areas ... the Stammtisch would be the best place to discuss this and to get in contact .... it could happened that I' am not around at the november meeting ... but you should get in contact with HS0ZEU or later at the Stammtisch with ZFD (Sukhumvit Soi 7/1 - at the fare end on the lefthand side!! - Maxim Hotel - outside 15:00)

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt