Author Topic: Tower height  (Read 3758 times)

HS0ZIA

Tower height
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:08:21 PM »
Is there any regulation about maximum tower height? What sort of permission is required before putting up a tower - and is it a separate process from the station license?
Thanks...Bob

HS0ZIE

Re: Tower height
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:55 PM »
In the House License there is allowed Tower hight to 60m and you are allowed to have more then one as long you have land for it '''
The house license is a separate license from the NTC and its needed if you are planing to work the radio from your home House or Condo
And you also need a permit from the building or land owner that you are allowed to work two way radio on his or her ground.
 :) :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:25:40 PM by HS0ZIE »

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »
Hi,

I'm no expert on these things but I was told when I did my tower that there could also be some different requirements set down by the local governing authority, municipality, etc and you may (officially) need an additional permit. Whilst the station licence would appear to grant permission for a tower up to 60m, how civilized, there may be local ordinances that could over rule that. Might never be an issue but if you happen to have a grumpy neighbour not happy to see your beautiful tower you might get a surprise one day.

Not only was I told this but I am aware of a case where this actually did happen, happily resolved in the hams favour.

Martin

HS0ZIE

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »
Hi,

I'm no expert on these things but I was told when I did my tower that there could also be some different requirements set down by the local governing authority, municipality, etc and you may (officially) need an additional permit. Whilst the station license would appear to grant permission for a tower up to 60m, how civilized, there may be local ordinances that could over rule that. Might never be an issue but if you happen to have a grumpy neighbor not happy to see your beautiful tower you might get a surprise one day.

Not only was I told this but I am aware of a case where this actually did happen, happily resolved in the hams favour.

Martin

I had that up for discussion and the answer I got, As long you are not  intruding on on your next door nabor property and don't make TVI then you are in the clear. Land office only take action for commercial property and towers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:42:58 AM by HS0ZIE »

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:46:18 AM »
That's good to know.

The TVI thing bothers me a bit as many people will claim that as their reason for pursuing you even if it turns out you were not the cause. I'm not sure if interference was an issue in the case I mentioned or just the visual impact of the tower but the tower owners lawyer was quite clear that without a local permit (not sure if land office or some other gov dept) there could be a case to answer. Could indeed have been on the TVI thing though.

Another point to watch is that by having a radio station licence for a particular address that MAY, in the eyes of an adjudicator, construe that the property is being used for commercial purposes. A huge grey area since a radio station licence is the same document for ham stations and commercial stations. Add some good old fashioned TIT and it could go either way.

hs0zdy

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »
I can add my 2 stang worth on this topic. The 60 meter permit is from PTD/NTC and have nothing to do with the construction of the actual tower. They just give a blanket permit to go up to 60 meters without additional permit from the tele-authorities. There is a building code which at least is valid in greater Bangkok that requires a separate building permit IF the total height exceeds 21 meters. If you are going over that height, (which most of us have..) a separate building permit is needed. When I set up my 24 meter freestanding tower, this came up and we asked at the local amphur office but they just said "a few meters above doesn't matter". We never got any written permit. The tower manufacturer said this is a law but never enforced. However IF your tower topples over and falls on the neighbors house, no insurance will cover the damages as long as you don't have a permit. If you happen to have a plot big enough to make sure your tower will fall inside your own property, go ahead.

The case Martin was referring to was a case of "decreasing the value of the neighbors property, caused by the unsightly tower". It was settled out of court, but the local amphur DID issue a building permit for said tower and the neighbor backed off.

HS0ZIE

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »
Like I say Live in the country side the only thing thats to small is the property for hanging wires  :'(