Author Topic: CB Radio in Pattaya.  (Read 4789 times)

Freeway

CB Radio in Pattaya.
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »
Hi everyone.

I found this forum the other day and it looks just the place to find out if there are any farang using CB radio in the Pattaya area.
I had CB radio for many years while living in the UK and found it very interesting, it would be nice to use CB here even if on a limited basis.

Best Regards..... Freeway.   :)

Offline ON8JA

• Administrator
Re: CB Radio in Pattaya.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:36:41 PM »
I think you have two options, the first one to buy the thai CB "red" radio's. These are VHF 245mhz fm radio's with a total of 80 channels (12.5 khz channels over 1 mhz). There are portable, mobile and base antenna's for these radio's, easy to find in the local radio shop. You don't need a license but you need to pay a one time NTC-tax fee. (ps. I have a double handheld radioset for sale - see the sale segment of the forum)

The second option would be to get your HAM radio license next time you go to the UK, you can then get your Thai HAM radio callsign and operate VHF and HF amateur radio bands.

On the Thai CB band -the red radio's are cheap and work fine- but there are very few 'farang' or English speaking users, so you might find yourself with not many people to talk to really -unless you and your friends all buy one set, or you would want to practise your Thai.

The HAM radio scene is more international, and more organised, so you would certainly gain many contacts joining the HAM groups in Thailand, and have someone to talk to on the radio.  You are most welcome at the monthly Pattaya meeting (see other threads for details) for a chat with the 'radio-active' people of Pattaya, or the Bangkok RAST meeting.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:39:59 PM by ON8JA »

Freeway

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »
ON8JA    Thank you for your informative reply.  I think Im going to be one of the red handset brigade. unless the ham radio license test in the UK has changed dramaticaly I would be lost in the algebra. I remember sitting the test many years ago with a good friend who was morse code operator in the Royal Signals during WW 2. he failed it the first two times. Algebra just issent me unfortunatly, I leave that to Stephen Hawkins   :)

Offline ON8JA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:51:32 PM »
Actually the HAM radio exams have changed dramaticaly indeed... they are totally do-able really, morsecode is not required anymore for the full license, and as you were doing radio before you probably already have a good base.