Author Topic: Dipole direction  (Read 3588 times)

Offline HS0ZIO

Dipole direction
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
I have a dipole oriented N TO S. If I wish to increase coverage. What would the orientation be best for a second dipole?

Thanks,

Paul

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
Re: Dipole direction
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »
Dear Paul,

well that is the question dipols for which bands? ... you orientated your dipol from N 2 S ... but the radiation pattern is then from E to W ...  well a 2nd dipol would be good for the direction 330/150 degree (Europe/Austrailia) on 20m .... or slightly more to north for US ... then we only have JA good for 15m or 20m with dipols ...

I hope I got you right ...

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZIO

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:16:56 AM »
That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Paul

Offline HS0ZIQ

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
Hello Paul,

I used a multi band Di Pole for just over 2 months prior to getting a Yagi up, mine was positioned NW-SE and i worked over 70 countires with it mainly on 20m.

From HS I belive this is the best direction for EU and VK/ZL traffic, for working USA signals tend to come in from the North to NE from here, consider buiding a rigid di pole with 2 7m fishing poles (carp poles)  here in Phuket 350 Bht each you can then turn it round.

73's

John HS0ZIQ

HS0ZIA

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:55:15 PM »
A horizontal dipole (or Yagi for that matter) must be up at least 1/2 wavelength (and higher is much better) above ground and be fed with a balun to show any meaningful directivity at useable takeoff angles. Orienting the wire EW will (if it's high enough) provide a slight null against QRN coming from equatorial electrical storms. Otherwise don't bother with dipole orientation you will never notice.

HS0ZIE

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
My first antenna in HS was a Dipole , No big trees around so 3m over ground, first contact in the Log was a LA  Norway 59 signal both ways so you SE everything works. ;)

HS0ZIA

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »
Yes your dipole as described (although you never mentioned the band) will radiate very efficiently at high angles and probably some useful  low angle radiation from the coax too if you have good ground conditions. But to answer the specific question posed in the OP, it should be clear that a second dipole oriented differently will gain absolutely nothing, because the existing dipole is already virtually omnidirectional. It should also be mentioned that the main advantage of directivity is on receive, where large improvements in S/N far outweigh the few nominal dB gain on transmit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:23:57 PM by HS0ZIA »