Author Topic: Interested in learning CW?  (Read 10609 times)

Offline ON8JA

• Administrator
Interested in learning CW?
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:46:16 PM »
I wonder if there are other people interested in learning CW ?

In the past I have tried a few attempts to start morse code training by means of training software, but somehow I did not continue.
Maybe it would be good to make a plan with fellow CW interested people ... peer pressure and group spirit can do wonders

hs0zhs

Re: Interested in learning CW?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
My interest in CW comes and goes. I have downloaded the G4FON Koch trainer and it looks and sounds very good. Do you know of it?

Mike HS0ZHS

HS0ZIE

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »
Hello

If you are interested in learning morse code then I can recommend the program NUmorse its a great program, you can send and receive text and listen to CW in qrm and so on.
I did use this program to learn cw and its great to test even if you can do cw test your speed and improve it also.

you can find the program on Internet if not mail me and I will send it to you !

:)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 03:23:37 PM by HS0ZIE »

Robin

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
Hello Fans of CW!
I have recently found a cw program that I think is very good for increasing speed. In the 1 month I have been using it I find my proficiency has noticably increased. I's called CW Freak and can be found on the internet. 73 all de Robin. M0RCR/HS0ZIH
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:43:58 PM by HS0ZIH »

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »
Hi !

I just found these chart ... which looks interessting and I guess it makes it easier to remember the code ...

All these information could be found on this page ...

http://www.qsl.net/k2pnk/index.html

73 de GD DX

HS0ZFZ

CQ de DX   HS0ZFZ ....         -.-. _ _._ _.. . .... ... ----- - - .. ..-. - - ..   CQ de DX  HS0ZFZ...

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZHG

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »
I wouldn't use the chart to memorize visually you must memorize sound!!

Google : The art and skill of Radio Telegraphy it is a pdf file and will give you some good tips.

Also www.justlearnmorsecode.com is a free program to help you learn using the Koch method it also gives you a detailed analasis of what you got correct and incorrect it also adapts to your mistakes so you get more of the letter you are struggling with.

Also why not join FISTS www.feacw.net

Nathan HS0ZHG FISTS : 15051

HS0ZIA

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »
The best way to learn CW is on the air practice. If anyone would like to schedule a CW QSO on 20 or 40 PM me and I will be happy give you as much practice as you like at any speed from 3 to 30 WPM.

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:06:42 PM »
Hi All,

glad to find like minded OM here! There is another possibility to practice CW and that would be via the internet. MRX in Australia came out with some software (CW Communicator ?). Not sure about the website, www.amateurradioproducts.com sells the cable for this.

At my QTH in DL, I put a 40 m qire antenna under the roof and will try to have some QSOs on 40 m. Over here in Bangkok, some form of eQSO sounds like an option.

For any practice, I would like to use the Farnsworht method and set the speed at 18 or 20 wpm, but increase the pauses between any signs. (Maybe this is just me, but I really hate hearing slow CW as I cannot help myself going back to counting dots and dashes)  :o  :-[

Remember, there is a law in physics saying that rhythm substitutes strength. Use that law and practice regularly. It is a great thrill to have a CW QSO! (I was so bad at copying that I was surprised getting some cards from YLs and even the late Vern G5RV and fool I am, I didn't recognise his call sign).

In 2002, I worked some 30 countries with an elecraft K1 on a dipole which almost touched the lawn. Russia, Turkey, Sweden, ... And when David PA3HBB visited, he brought his K2 and matched a piece of coax in my office and worked S51 with QRP a few seconds later.

Don't even dream of getting such a contact on SSB!

Have fun!

73 de Chris HS0ZFE
Mobile: 082 5766 516
E-mail: kf6vci@gmail.com

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
don't dream - just do it! Q: how about holding a training session at RAST?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
Hi All:

does anyone have a sound generator? There are several outstanding CW OPs at the RAST meetings. Hopefully we can get together and have a training session?

The next step might be a CW session via a repeater or via Echolink or Skype?

I can bring some ARRL CDs to next month's RAST meeting.

Hope to see you all there,

73 de Chris Hs0zfe

HS0ZIE

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 03:05:48 PM »
Here is a sound generator and also keyer which I use for my Bencher to Kenwood TS-940

M0XDW

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 03:44:18 PM »
Here is a sound generator and also keyer which I use for my Bencher to Kenwood TS-940

ni picture !!!!!!!

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »
A couple of useful points.

Go here: http://www.qsl.net/n9bor/n0hff.htm

download the pdf file The Art and Skill of Radio Telegraphy by William G Pierpont.
Print it
Read it
Think about it

Use a PC program to get your code recognition decent enough to recognise characters off air.

Don't send unless you can receive
If you get your receiving straight first you will understand why trying to send before you can receive is a bad idea, if you can't yet receive then you will not understand why it's a bad idea. One of life's mystery's.

Listen to the radio, it can rarely be beaten as the perfect practice. You are after all listening to the very stuff that you want to, er, listen too.

Read the article in the January 2009 QST about copying two three and four letter word groups.

Practice, practice, practice

At least once a day even if only 5 minutes but never more than 20-30 minutes maximum.

Keep at it, never give up, accept the set backs but keep pushing forward.

Plan to enter a CW contest, even with assistance, target only yourself as competition, if your first time aim for 10 contacts, then 20, then 50.

Practice, practice, practice

Now do I do all this? No. Do I try? Yes. Is it working? I think so. Am I having fun? You bet!

Martin

Offline hs0zfe

• eham
Re: Interested in learning CW? Need a Code Buddy
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »
http://www.mrx.com.au/ -> download

How is it going?
Coming Wednesday, I would like to have a go at some vy QRS QSO.
Are you practicing on the air or off the air? Has anyone tried some internet
based QSO yet?
Vy 73 de Chris Hs0zfe

Offline OZ1FJB / OU2V - Lars

• My website
Re: Interested in learning CW? - exercise online website.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 03:04:24 AM »
I belive this is an old string...but anyway, if anyone likes to get some good CW drills, and have a good internet connection, then try to look at this website, where you can learn the morsecode from sqratczz to highspeed.. just use "TEST" as password and user...

www.lcwo.net

rgds

oz1fjb/ou2v