Author Topic: DX Cluster node  (Read 2491 times)

Offline HS0ZED

DX Cluster node
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:15:40 AM »
Hi,

For some time now the old HS0AC DX cluster node has been quiet and whilst for many it may not be a problem since reliable telnet links to other nodes are available there is also web page DX cluster spot information but still there are some who either have no reliable or easily accessed internet connection and some who simply prefer to use a radio connected cluster link. Further it seems only right that HS should have some presence in the DX cluster node world.

With that in mind and as both a learning exercise (that's what amateur radio is about, right!) and a way to use up some old computer hardware I now have a DX Spider node running as HS0ZED-8. Currently login is by telnet connection only at hs0zed.dyndns.org 7300 though as soon as I can scare up a 2 metre radio, us HF types have little use for them these days, then I will integrate a radio port on the system as well.

This is early days and the system, reliability may not be that great until I get the configuration sorted out but you are more than welcome to connect and I would be particularly interested in any comments about connection speed and response time, more so if you see more than one or two users connected at once.

Please feel free to login anytime the node is up. If you are unfamiliar with DX Spider operation there is a good user manual available at:

http://www.dxcluster.org/main/usermanual_en.html

or as a pdf download from:

http://www.n2ki.com/The%20DXSpider%20User%20Manual%20v1.51.pdf

For any other information please feel free to ask here or send me an email.

Martin, HS0ZED
hs0zed~~(((no spam)))~~@~~(((no spam)))~~gmail.com

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:25:04 AM by HS0ZED »

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
Re: DX Cluster node
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:46:45 PM »
Dear Martin,

it worked fine ... Yesterday!  But today my terminal program Putty just close down before the login appear ... do you still do some configuration work ??

Thump up - good work ... HS is QRV again in DX Clustering ...

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
Hi,

Yes, it went down yesterday during the storm. The pc is not on a UPS so it died when the power went off here, that lasted about 30 minutes and when it came back all looked good but about an hour later the network card stopped working. Lucky I had a spare and it seems to have been up okay since then. As I type this uptime is 17 hours and there are 421 nodes connected.

Watching the spots from my node partners I see all arrive before any of the web based cluster displays, sometimes in the case of DX Summit I get spots several minutes before they show on the DX Summit site.

There will be some other bugs to get out, no doubt, but so far it seems stable except for the power thing. I keep promising myself a UPS so maybe now is the time.

Martin, HS0ZED

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »
Dear Martin,

well done so far! Congratulations!

But I would like to see that you enable the password function according to the call if somebody like to us it ... otherwise everybody could login with any call and spot ... well I know that the telnet connection is also not the safest one but .... maybe you are able to establish also an SSH gate in addtional! - just in case of this is supported by your hard- / software ...

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt