Author Topic: US ham license reciprocity  (Read 3729 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
US ham license reciprocity
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:07:03 PM »
My sympathies to all those qualified hams struggling with the bureaucracy here. Now that the US has eliminated the 20WPM code requirement and gives out all the test questions and answers before one even takes the test, just about anyone who isn't totally brain-dead can get an extra class license there these days  ::). Can you get an HS0 license if you turn up with a US call sign, or does it depend only on your passport? Just an idea...73 Bob

Offline ON8JA

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 57
  • Karma: +0/-0
Re: US ham license reciprocity
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:45:26 AM »
Hi Bob,

Besides a valid license you would need a passport from the country you are licensed in.
This way only an American Amateur possessing an American passport can apply for a Thai license through the reciprocal agreement US-Thailand.

If this rule would not exist, things would be easier, thats for sure. There would be a way to get a license for amateurs from non-reciprocal agreement countries.

I myself for example don't have a license (yet) since the reciprocal Belgium-Thailand has not been finalized.
If I would get a UK or American callsign, it is said they would turn me down for a Thai license when I apply for the reason of not having a passport of that country.
I haven't tested this myself to verify if it is actually true, but it is what I have heard from a number of people.
However, never say never but it takes a lot of effort to try and it is likely to get turned down.


  • Guest
Re: US ham license reciprocity
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:31:43 AM »
Does Thailand still require a 6 mo residency to obtain a reciprocal lisc?  Tnx Bob K6ZLY

Offline HS0ZFZ

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 443
  • Karma: +1/-0
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
Re: US ham license reciprocity
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »
Dear Bob,

no HS does not require 6 month residence for the call... you can apply even if you are coming for holiday ... but do not forget operating with own equipment is only allow with

1. HS Callsign
2. Rig's registeration (import only with Import Licences according on approval - revise thread in forum - legal equipement)
3. Station Licences - which you can not obtain if you are not staying here... then you can only operate from exsiting stations or Clubstations. HS does not issuse portable licences to anybody ...

73 de HS0ZFZ


HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6

QTH: OK03jt