Author Topic: QST  (Read 2040 times)

HS0ZIA

QST
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »
Hi my name is Bob and I live in Pai, Mae Hong Son. I come from the States and my call there is N6BK (if I ever use it again). Been a ham for nearly 40 years and have worked every band and mode there is at one time or another, but was mainly interested in DXing on 160>6m. I am now QRV with inverted vees for 20/40 but have only made 1 QSO, last night with my old pal Jim W6YA on 40 cw sked at 1300UTC before the power failed! I don't get down to BKK much so have only made 1 RAST meeting, but looking forward to meeting you on the air someday! 73

Offline ON8JA

• Administrator
Re: QST
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:01:45 AM »
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!
With Mae Hong Son being in a mountainous area, do you live high up the hill or in the valley?

Myself I live in a condo in Bangkok, 20th floor nice and high with a view to the south side, good to dangle some antenna's from the balcony ... Unfortunately I am totally limited right now as I am still waiting for the reciprocal agreement between Belgium and Thailand to be finalized ...

HS0ZIA

Re: QST
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
Actually I live on a hill within the Pai valley. Even hill tops are not the best place for HF though, and I am looking for some rice paddy land down in the Chiang Mai area to put together a nice contest station. Flat, high conductivity ground offers the best chance to realize the full 6dB ground reflection gain available. Also we have almost daily power failures here... :P