Author Topic: V-Two 2m Colinear  (Read 2927 times)

M0XDW

V-Two 2m Colinear
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
Hi all,
   I recently purchased a 2 metre band V-Two colinear for 2,300 baht. The antenna claims to provide 9dBd and is approximately 6 metres in length. I'm seeing this antenna behaving in a very strange way, it seems to be the weirdest thing that I've ever used to RX/TX on and that is saying something !!!
 :-\ :-\ :-\

>:( >:( >:(

On receive and with my 1 metre mag mounted whip I can hear a station with poor quality audio for example at S5, switching antennas to the V-Two the signal strength drops to S0 (yes that's a Zero) but the audio quality appears to improve considerably!!!!. I have tried this experiment with Paul (HS0ZIN) each of us running 5 watts, the exact same results are seen but on the 1 metre whip Paul received me at S3, on the colinear I am not copyable.

Does anyone here have one of these antenna and if so have you compared performance to other antenna ?? my V-Two is mounted with the base about 8 metres from the ground on a grounded mast, the 1 metre long whip is mag-mounted onto an air-con compressor unit outside the shack window !!!

I hope that someone can suggest an improvement otherwise it looks as if I've purchased a lemon !!!

73's all
Dave

M0XDW

Re: V-Two 2m Colinear
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »
I'm thinking of part-exchanging this for something else from the Ham shop here in Pattaya, I can make no sense of the results of using this antenna, it's probably the worlds largest dummy load, if you see one of these for sale steer well clear !!!

73's all
Dave