Author Topic: Ham Radio Shop in Phuket?  (Read 7053 times)

la2zna

Ham Radio Shop in Phuket?
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:18:55 PM »
Hi all.

I hope you can help me here... I am going on a vacation to Phuket from 14'th to 29 Nov, and need some information about if there is any shops there to visit. And you probably know the price differences i.e. between USA and Thailand on the various ham equiptment. Can you give me some examples?

It might also be realistic to take a trip to bankok while beeing there.

Thanks in advance.
Tom.

Offline HS0ZED

Re: Ham Radio Shop in Phuket?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:41:45 PM »
Hi Tom,

Hope you will have a good holiday in Phuket. Maybe one of our friends down that way will reply with the information you need. I will only say that ham shops in Thailand are a rare breed. Not least because of the legal situation which prohibits any sort of short wave or VHF radio ownership without the appropriate permits. These very draconian regulations mean there is both little business for a radio shop nor much incentive to create any. It's not what you could really call a ham friendly country. There are some shops but mostly small outlets catering to the VHF/CB and accident recovery types which abound here. They carry other accessories but quite a small range. If you are looking for HF products then sadly you will be pretty much out of luck except for some long term ordering through less than legitimate channels at prices significantly higher than US, actually about the same as in EU. Maybe one day the situation will be changed but right now ham shopping is best done in the US, Japan, and other parts.

Phuket is a great place for a holiday mind.

Martin, HS0ZED

Offline HS8JYX

• www.hs8jyx.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »

ham radio shop and repair in krabi by HS8IAV

http://www.hs8iav.com/

Offline HS0ZIQ

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »
Hello Tom,

I live in Phuket and have found 2 shops, both in the Phuket Town area.

They only sell VHF and the Red Radios (cb) and some Antennas + cables, but no HF gear.

You are best to go to Singapore its a short flight from Phuket and if booked in advance you can get a return ticket for around 5000 Bht, its even possible to leave and return on the same day, as I have done any times.

As for importing, this is another problem!  >:(so would suggest if you buy any thing big have it sent by Courier to your home country.

Check the Internet for Blazer Electronics in Sim Lim Tower, he is one of the cheapest, there are also another 2 shops on the basement level that mainly sell more Icom gear.

There are also 3 shops in Sim Lim Square, but I have found a little more expensive.

73's

John HS0ZIQ