Author Topic: The RAST presence on the World Wide Web  (Read 3702 times)

Offline HS/VA6CS

The RAST presence on the World Wide Web
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »

Currently, the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand is represented on the World Wide Web through the existence of two main, active websites. First is the RAST Homepage at http://www.qsl.net/rast/, and second is this RAST Forum at http://rastforum.com/. Through both of these sites, we advertise ourselves and our activities to the world.

Today (28 October 2008), I went to the RAST website to find information regarding the upcoming November RAST meeting scheduled for this comming Sunday, 02 November 2008 - a short five days away.

On looking at the current RAST Homepage, I believe that the English language community of RAST has greatly overextended themselves with these two web-based enterprises and needs to re-think their objectives and means of attaining those objectives.

As of today (28 October 2008) at 19:00 hrs, the lead article on the RAST Homepage has as its topic, an upcoming *October* RAST meeting at the Sena Place Hotel. A few inches further down this same

Offline ON8JA

• Administrator
Re: The RAST presence on the World Wide Web
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:00:25 AM »
Thank you for sharing your opinion Chris.
The make-over of the traditional RAST website has been discussed on RAST meetings before.
Some initiatives have been taken by club members to redo the website, but I do not know what the status on that project is.
You are welcome to bring this up in the meeting at Sena place.

Meanwhile I have started the RASTforum as to have an interactive place on Internet for RAST members and other interested people to exchange information, promote HAM radio in Asia, and form a community. The beauty of the forum is that the content on the forum is created by it's users. And our users have been very active making this forum succeed! In only 6 months of operations we count more than 140 members.

This forum really has come to life and has created new friendships and contacts, and seems to serve it's purpose of promoting HAM radio and the HAM radio spirit in Thailand under the RAST umbrella.

The content of the website and the process of editing the website needs to be agreed upon by the RAST club members and committee through the procedures at the monthly RAST meetings.

Alexander

M0XDW

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:14:07 AM »
Hi Chris,
     you are right of course, but I'm guessing that as the RAST website is maintained on a purely voluntary basis we shouldn't expect too much. The forum however will hopefully serve as a resource where you will eventually come first in your quest for information, the guys here between them all have a great deal of knowledge and I'm sure Swen or somebody could give you all of the required information about the upcoming RAST meeting right here for others to share their knowldege in as well.

Either way Alexander has agreed to discuss any possible additions/modifications to this website so please be sure to request a "RAST monthly meeting notice" or similar and I'm sure he will agree that it would be a worthwhile addition.

73's (more than one),
Dave HS0ZIS

Offline HS/VA6CS

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:40:21 AM »
Hi Chris,
Good morning, Dave.
Thank you for your observations, Dave. I have already communicated with Andrew, and I hope to peruse these issues with him this Sunday at our November RAST meeting. Will you be there?

73's (more than one),

Dave, if I may be permitted a moment of pedant,  you seem to a little bit confused regarding use of the term, "73".

The term '73' means "Best wishes" (Ref.:ARRL Handbook). (Note the plural condition.) The 'wishes' are already in the plural state. No need to pluralize a plural.
Pluralizing a plural is redundancy at its worse.

However, I recognize you might be intending the possessive. In which case, I would ask, best wishes' what?  ;)

Dave HS0ZIS

73 (Only one collection.)

de -Chris, VE6CS

M0XDW

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:50:59 AM »
Hi Chris,
   I have a visa run to do on Saturday, I'm hoping to make it to BKK for the RAST meeting (if there is one of course) but with the visa run the day before who knows what might happen !!!!  :o

Best 73's (more than one)
Dave

PS: I had heard that you americans don't possess a sense of humour, perhaps you could eliminate my confusion surrounding this ??  ;D

PPS: - I had to search hard for this link. Just to clarify, this post contains English humour, if you don't understand it then you probably aren't English. There is no offence intended in this post.

HS0ZIE

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D :D :D

What I'm trying to say is that I have  discussed the RAST English web page for the last 7 years and not much is happening.
The Thai Webb page tho is updated more often.

Even if its Volunteers that do the job I don't say nothing about that but if you accept a position to do do something then you also have a  Responsibility  to SE that its done.
OR am I wrong about that. ??? :-\
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:52:50 AM by HS0ZIE »

M0XDW

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »
;D ;D ;D :D :D

What I'm trying to say is that I have  discussed the RAST English web page for the last 7 years and not much is happening.
The Thai Webb page tho is updated more often.

Even if its Volunteers that do the job I don't say nothing about that but if you accept a position to do do something then you also have a  Responsibility  to SE that its done.
OR am I wrong about that. ??? :-\

You are quite right, just as Chris points out it seems that those responsible have neglected things slightly, maybe due to more pressing or important things. We must remember though that Amateur radio is a hobby, the very definition of which means that you participate in this hobby when it suits you. Obviously some people have more time on their hands and are able to provide more time etc. to the hobby than others (who maybe have daytime jobs or more demanding XYL's etc.)

Could it be then that a suggestion to drop the "English Language" link to http://www.qsl.net/rast from the http://www.rast.or.th website and instead a link to this forum is used. In future (if Alexander agrees to the suggestion of a landing page for this website) then maybe the information on the existing http://www.qsl.net/rast site could be duplicated here where more active members can maintain it ??

Just a suggestion, open to criticism or abuse etc.

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:20:35 PM »
Dear All,

well I agree with almost every thing you are talking about .... but now Alexander started this forum and also got many oppositions not to do so .... but finally he did it and I hope also the guys now also agree with that step into the future .... the next steps to do improvments of the forum - to attrack more members and of course the website .... but the exsiting webmaster has to agree to changes have to be done .... NOW! - That would be maybe a hard nut to crack - I can tell you that!!!

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

P.S. By the way the meeting is held at Sena Place as usual ... even there were no update on the november meeting yet ...

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS/VA6CS

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »
Hi, Dave.
Yah, I've always had problems with determining what is 'humor' and what is not, and I usually end up missing the point.

I do hope you will be able to make Sunday's RAST meeting, but from the sounds of it, it seems a bit 'iffie'.
I would really like to meet you personally as you sound like quite a 'cool dude', as we're wont to say in America.

I note you 'crapped out' on last month's RAST meeting as well (after inviting me to come and "impress"!). If this keeps up, Dave, I'm going to start thinking that you don't exist at all, and that really, I'm just corresponding with some fancy responsive computer program!  ::) ;)

73 (Only one group of them!)

de -Chris (VA6CS)

M0XDW

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »
Hi Chris,
   If the Cambodian border authorities are as judicious and efficient as they usually are then I probably won't be back in time for Christmas let alone Sunday!!, if however they have eaten their fill of rice and whiskey and Buddha is smiling down on me then I'll be there  ;)

I'm not sure about the 'cool dude' tag as I'm a bit of a geek but the thought is appreciated  :)

The invitation (which still stands of course) was to the local Pattaya meeting, I know you'd like it as we have some of your countrymen that come along and they seem to enjoy it (they keep on coming back so it can't be that bad). We also have Germans and other nationalities so it's always an enjoyable event with most if not all leaving having learned something new.

Here is the thread with the details of the next Pattaya meeting, next Friday the 7th November. Paul (HS0ZIN) is giving a talk, with photographs; and answering questions on his new mast and antenna, I know that a lot of members will be interested in this as they may be considering a similar configuration etc.

Best 73's,
Dave

Offline HS/VA6CS

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 07:43:28 PM »
Hi, Dave.
These Canadians who keep showing up for cheap booze at your Pattaya meetings, are they licensed Canadian Hams who are also HS0Z' credentialed?

I would like to 'connect' with any VA/VE Hams operating in HS-land.

(BTW, I can see why you opt' for the Chimpanzee!  ;))

-Chris (VA6CS)

M0XDW

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 07:52:09 PM »
Hi, Dave.
These Canadians who keep showing up for cheap booze at your Pattaya meetings, are they licensed Canadian Hams who are also HS0Z' credentialed?

To the best of my knowledge they are americans, but they could be canuke's I guess ?? I'll ask on the 7th

Well, my mother thinks I'm beautiful ;)

-Chris (VA6CS)

Perhaps a post entitled "Looking for fellow canadians" might yield some surprises ??

Dave

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:37:35 AM »
Hi, Dave.

-Chris (VA6CS)

Dear Chris,

well VA/VE doe snot passed the Reciprocal Agreement - you know so they can not be Canadians - maybe they root from Canada but holding an US passport now ... NO Candian can get a licences yet - They are all wait for you task on that Reciprocal agreement ... 

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

BTW: Dave nice picture I will have a look for that guy next time at the meeting ...  ;D

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

Offline HS/VA6CS

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 08:19:05 AM »
Swen wrote,
<snip>
Dear Chris,

well VA/VE doe snot passed the Reciprocal Agreement -
</snip>

Actually, Swen, my information tells me that VA/VE (i.e.,the Canadians) *have* passed their part of the reciprocal agreement with Thailand, and that the agreement is waiting approval by the Foreign Affairs Department in Thailand.

<snip>
They are all wait for you task on that Reciprocal agreement ... 
</snip>

I, and Canada, have done all we can do. It is now in the hands of the Thai authorities, and we all know how fast they move ;).

-Chris (VA6CS

M0XDW

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »
Swen wrote,
<snip>
Dear Chris,

well VA/VE doe snot passed the Reciprocal Agreement -
</snip>

Actually, Swen, my information tells me that VA/VE (i.e.,the Canadians) *have* passed their part of the reciprocal agreement with Thailand, and that the agreement is waiting approval by the Foreign Affairs Department in Thailand.

<snip>
They are all wait for you task on that Reciprocal agreement ... 
</snip>

I, and Canada, have done all we can do. It is now in the hands of the Thai authorities, and we all know how fast they move ;).

-Chris (VA6CS

Good for you Chris, I'll look forward to working you on HF then ;)

RAST meeting today ??

73's
Dave