Author Topic: FRS & GMRS - Is it legal ??  (Read 6940 times)

M0XDW

FRS & GMRS - Is it legal ??
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »
 :)

Hi all experts,
   In TukCom, South Pattaya I noticed that they have blister packs of pairs of FRS/GMRS radios selling for around 3,500baht, presumably to US specs as these are illegal in most of europe. My question for the legal eagles out there is are these legal here in HS ?? I didn't think that they were but am willing to be corrected.

73's all
M0XDW

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
  • CQ CQ DX .... de HS0ZFZ
Re: FRS & GMRS - Is it legal ??
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 02:45:09 PM »
Dear Dave,

well each radio without NTC sticker is illegal ....

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

QTH: OK03jt

M0XDW

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »
Thanks Swen, so from what you say:

any radio that does not have an NTC sticker is illegal.

that just about covers everything in HS land,

73's Dave

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »
Dear Dave,

well you got it ....

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

P.S. Do you got already some reservations for the Pattaya Meeting?
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2

M0XDW

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:30:56 PM »
Dear Dave,

well you got it ....

73 de HS0ZFZ

Swen

P.S. Do you got already some reservations for the Pattaya Meeting?

Thanks Swen, please see here for the October Pattaya Meeting

73's de M0XDW - HS0ZIR aka Dave

Thanh-BKK

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »
Hi :)

That sort of radio "Walkie Talkie" is also sold in Bangkok all over the place.... mostly "Motorola" but also some others. They come with 80+ channels etc, but the frequency range is never mentioned on the package. It's mostly tourists gobbling them up - wouldn't that be rather dangerous as a foreigner using that kind of "illegal" equipment here? Of course nobody thinks they could be doing something illegal - after all the things are sold completely openly!

I myself purchased a pair of Walkie Talkies a couple of years ago in Cambodia, thinking they were CB (as they were offered as such!) and, back in Bangkok, i found them to be wide-range 2m HAM devices (136 to 174 MHz). I have yet to push the PTT, but they sure are good listeners :)

Best regards.....

Thanh

M0XDW

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »

That sort of radio "Walkie Talkie" is also sold in Bangkok all over the place.... mostly "Motorola" but also some others. They come with 80+ channels etc, but the frequency range is never mentioned on the package. It's mostly tourists gobbling them up - wouldn't that be rather dangerous as a foreigner using that kind of "illegal" equipment here? Of course nobody thinks they could be doing something illegal - after all the things are sold completely openly!

I myself purchased a pair of Walkie Talkies a couple of years ago in Cambodia, thinking they were CB (as they were offered as such!) and, back in Bangkok, i found them to be wide-range 2m HAM devices (136 to 174 MHz). I have yet to push the PTT, but they sure are good listeners :)

Best regards.....

Thanh

This is my 'concern', apparently the purchaser could face 5 years in the BKK hilton for even possessing one of these according to Thai law. I'm sure the BiB wouldn't respond favourably to the old "honestly officer I bought them in a shop....." excuse.

I pity any tourist that gets caught with one of these in his/her possession .....

73's de M0XDW - HS0ZIR aka Dave

Thanh-BKK

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »

My thoughts, too... .which is why i have them, minus batteries, hidden away :) But the excuse "bought them in a shop" has it's value, the cop only needs to walk into Panthip Plaza, right exactly at the entry, the very first shop there sells them, at least 25 different kinds, fully "in the open".

Next place to visit would be the 4th floor of MBK, among all the mobile phones there's plenty of shops selling the "legal" red CB ones - and the 2m ones as well, they don't ask for any sort of license - the "license" to get them is the paper that says "Baht" on it.

I hope to some day find a HAM who has the required license and takes the 2m ones off me in exchange for a pair of "red" 245 MHz ones - which is what i wanted to get in first place. But in Cambodia it seems EVERYONE is using the 2m ones, they are chatting from shop to shop there with them (just behind the border at Ban Laem where there's a number of shops) so i was duped to think they're CB. Only after charging the batteries i found out what frequency they go on (and the package only mentioning "High Quality Long Range Walkie Talkie Radio"!)

Best regards.....

Thanh

cryptopath

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »
I'm all for legality, but is there no way for me to buy CB radios here in the US and bring them back to Thailand without getting into trouble?  My family in Thailand. would like some to have to communicate with each other.

Why are all the 245MHz band radios so expensive in Thailand?  They're like 100 USD, while a pair of FRS/GMRS radios here cost $33.  Do you recommend looking into 27MHz?  I don't even think they make those anymore here.

What do you think the best option here is?  Is there a lower-cost legal option in Thailand for CB operation (that my technologically-challenged parents can grasp)?

Offline HS0ZFZ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
FRS & GMRS are illegal in Thailand ... every radio has to be proved from NTC. (NTC - National Telecommunication Commission of Thailand)

Well the only choice for you would be 245 MHz here in Thailand! The red radio's you can see everywhere everybody can buy them even these radio's have to be registered ... anyway ...

For 27 MHz band there will be no more licence to issue ... these were also free for everybody but not issued anymore ... only choice is the 245 MHz CB Band ....

Well the 3000 Baht range usually you will get some death receiver but maybe for very short distance these are still ok .... I would recommend the price range ~7000 Baht ...

Further Information 27 / 245 MHz in HS - Thailand

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:42:59 AM by HS0ZFZ »
HS0ZFZ   - Swen

HS    EME#6
HS0Z EME#2