Author Topic: New Member Introductions  (Read 5759 times)

Offline HS/VA6CS

New Member Introductions
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:01:46 PM »
Having posted elsewhere on this web site over the past few days, I feel it appropriate that I more formally introduce myself.

My name is Chris Stanford, and I am from Canada. I hold Industry Canada, Amateur Radio Operators License, ID VA6CS, and valid for operation on all Canadian amateur bands (HF, V/UHF), and modes (CW, Phone, SSB, RTTY, etc.).

I have been traveling to, and working in, Thailand for most of the past 15 years, and have only recently looked seriously at establishing my Ham credentials in HS-land.

My interest in radio electronics reach back to my elementary school, single digit years, when I happened by a local telephone exchange office (with electro-mechanical relay switching circuitry via 'connectors', 'selectors' and 'line-finders'. These were the days of the rotary dial. No 'solid states' here!), and was 'apprenticed' by a resident switching technician. My first ARRL Handbook was dated 1958 and still have the one from 1975 at hand.

In high school, I joined the 'Radio Club' and later, a Signals Company of an Army Cadets Unit, where I got my hands on WW2 '19' and '29' sets. Great learning aids!

University, marriage, children(now adults), family, career, etc. intervened and interest in Ham Radio fell into remission. It has come back to life, of sorts, over the past few years.   

My Ham interests are in mobile (back-pack) HF-DXing and radio astronomy. My other hobby-passion is photography (35mm D/SLR).

I am active member of the Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) and the Calgary Amateur Radio Association (CARA). I look forward to participating in the activities of the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand (RAST).

Thanks for your read.

-Chris Stanford (VA6CS)

Offline HS/VA6CS

Re: New Member Introductions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »
By way of an update to the notes above, I would like to say what a pleasurable experience my visit to the Sena Place Hotel this afternoon was. The opportunity to finally meet in person, the many fine Hams I have had the pleasure of interacting with on this Forum, was indeed a pleasure. Thank you all.

In particular, I would like express my pleasure at the honor of meeting RAST President, Khun Chaiyong. It is all too easy, when in the heat of Ham-related discussion with English-speaking colleagues, to forget that many of us are guests in Khun Chaiyong's country. I do appreciate Chaiyong's continued efforts in support of foreign Hams in Thailand.

I did arrive late, just before 2pm, and undoubtedly missed many of the 'key players' in RAST. I hope to correct this in due course. I was very happy to meet Swen, Charlie, Manfred, Thomas Johnson (I think?), Martin, and many others whose names I failed to retain in my failing memory.

Thank you all for a most hospitable welcome to another 'falang'. I hope to continue with my association with RAST.

Thanks for your read.

-Chris Stanford (VA6CS)

Offline HS0ZED

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »
Hi Chris,

Good to meet you at the get together last Sunday even though it was just briefly. Anyway hope you get sorted with a local call in due course, I understand VE is one that is in progress.

Martin, HS0ZED

G8ODZ

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »
Hi Chris,
     My uk licence is G8ODZ and I now hope to get a reciprocal licence here inChiang Mai, I live just outside in a village called Nameng. I came across the Thai amateur radio website quite by accident and would liketo become an active member. My uk licence relapsed about twenty years ago though I do still have my city and guilds certificate. Is there an active club inChiang Mai? What would I need to get a receiprocal licence, or can I just use the suffix /m,i suppose a suffix of /m is pushing it a bit being five thousand miles away from uk!! When are where do you guys meet?
   73's
      victor

Offline HS/VA6CS

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:00:26 PM »
Hi Chris,
     My uk licence is G8ODZ and I now hope to get a reciprocal licence here inChiang Mai, I live just outside in a village called Nameng. I came across the Thai amateur radio website quite by accident and would liketo become an active member. My uk licence relapsed about twenty years ago though I do still have my city and guilds certificate. Is there an active club inChiang Mai? What would I need to get a receiprocal licence, or can I just use the suffix /m,i suppose a suffix of /m is pushing it a bit being five thousand miles away from uk!! When are where do you guys meet?
   73's
      victor

Hi, Victor.
Welcome to our RAST Forum.
Victor, we have many active RAST members in the Chiang Mai area. We also have quite a number of UK hams, now living in Thailand.

First off, I would refer to a very active member of this Forum who happens to live in Chiang Mai (but is not from the UK), and that would be HS0ZIE 'Kurt'. Kurt is from Sweden and hold ham call 'SM7WGP' in addition to his Thai call.

Another RAST member I must mention would be HS0ZIS 'Dave'. Dave *is* from the UK and would be the best source of legal matters concerning reciprocal licensing. Dave lives in Chonburi, not far from Bangkok, and is the most active member on this Forum.

We have several other UK members of RAST including HS0ZDX 'Anthony (Tony) Waltham, who lives in the Bangkok area and who tends to the official RAST website; HS0ZED 'Martin' who also lives in the Bangkok area and is familiar with Thai Government regulations; Sheridon (Don) Street who holds Thai call HS0ZEE and UK call G3VFV, Sheridon lives in the Chiang Mai area I believe. Another UK RAST member is HS0ZIB, 'Simon' who has UK call G6JFY.

So, it would appear there are several RAST members who are either from the UK or who live in the Chiang Mai area, or both, who will be of much assistance to you in your getting setup with Thailand Ham Radio operation.

Your first step should be to obtain full membership in RAST. Do check out the official RAST website at http://www.qsl.net/rast/. (Note: This URL is distinct from that of this RAST Forum.) The official RAST website will provide you all the information you require on obtaining RAST membership and reciprocal UK-Thailand ham licensing.

Good luck!

-Chris Stanford (VA6CS)

Offline HS/VA6CS

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »
Curious.........
Following today's RAST meeting at the Sena Place Hotel, as I was exiting the Hotel Parking lot, I noticed a pickup truck with a rear bumper mounted whip (c/w loading coil). On closer inspection, I noticed the call, HS0ZEA posted on the rear cab window.

I'm curious, who is 'HS0ZEA?  :o

-Chris (VA6CS)

HS0ZIE

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:19:46 PM »
Curious.........
Following today's RAST meeting at the Sena Place Hotel, as I was exiting the Hotel Parking lot, I noticed a pickup truck with a rear bumper mounted whip (c/w loading coil). On closer inspection, I noticed the call, HS0ZEA posted on the rear cab window.

I'm curious, who is 'HS0ZEA?  :o

-Chris (VA6CS)

Thats RUDI or Rolf like he calls him self in English OE2REL  Home Call He lives in Chayiapum and also in Udon Thani.

Offline HS/VA6CS

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 05:08:51 PM »
Thanks Kurt!
Chaiyaphum and Udon Thani are both fair hikes to Bangkok. Good for Rolf to make the trek to the RAST Meeting!

-Chris (VA6CS)

EI7GN

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
Hi Guys, My name is John Sherwood and I hold the calls EI7GN & G0EIU. My current QTH is Mullingar in Ireland. I am a frequent visitor to Thailand and will be in Pattaya for April. I intend to retire to Thailand in a few years and would like to go to the meeting in Pattaya in April next. Does anyone have a date for it? Regards..............John                         sherwood@eircom.net

M0XDW

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »
Hi Guys, My name is John Sherwood and I hold the calls EI7GN & G0EIU. My current QTH is Mullingar in Ireland. I am a frequent visitor to Thailand and will be in Pattaya for April. I intend to retire to Thailand in a few years and would like to go to the meeting in Pattaya in April next. Does anyone have a date for it? Regards..............John                         sherwood@eircom.net

Hi John and welcome to the forum, The Pattaya meetings take place on the Friday following the BKK RAST meetings (generally the 1st Sunday of the month) so, as long as the RAST meeting is on the 5th then the Pattaya meeting will be on Friday the 10th. There are detailed instructions containing directions to the venue on this forum, if you have any trouble finding them drop me a PM and I'll send you a link to them.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the fold ;)

Kindest regards,
Dave
HS0ZIS