Author Topic: 6m - 50MHz  (Read 1146 times)

Offline HS0ZLJ

6m - 50MHz
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
I was just made aware, that the 6m Band is now supposedly open, according to the english RAST website? That is since last year. So if I may ask, what is the status of 6m in Thailand?

http://www.qsl.net/rast/text/2014HF-VHFbandplan.html

73, Marcus
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:15:18 PM by DL4AKB (HS0ZLJ) »
Marcus, Chiang Mai
Y44RI / DL4AKB / 9V1AG / HS0ZLJ

Offline HS0ZIL

• Life is too short for QRP!!
    • Moonbouncing
Re: 6m - 50MHz
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 08:02:48 AM »
Goo morning Marcus,

have a look on this Group for which i am a moderator for!
https://www.facebook.com/T6MClub?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

73 de Karsten, HS0ZIL

HS    EME#2
HS0Z EME#1
1st WAC 144MHz EME in HS

QTH: OK16bq

Offline HS0ZLW

• CW and Contest fan
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:57:09 AM »
I believe that the current status of amateur use of 6m in Thailand is as follows:

1. We have been given the 6m frequencies to use, they are now part of the band plan. The same applies to the 70cm band, an additional chunk of the 2m band between 146.000 and 146.500MHz, and several higher frequencies (including the 23cm band and others).
2. We are allowed (as you know) to use all frequencies in the band plan, as long as we use radios that are officially approved by the NBTC, and 'stamped'.
3. The NBTC is not approving any radios that have the capability of transmitting on any VHF/UHF bands other than 144-146MHz.

So we are in a tricky situation where IN THEORY we can use the 6m, 70cm and other bands, but IN FACT no licences are being issued for radios capable of transmitting on those frequencies. Any radio that can transmit on these frequencies is illegal, and using them on those frequencies will probably result in their confiscation as well as prosecution of the user.

This situation came about pretty much because of the timing of the announcement and the political situation at that time.

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong in my beliefs :)
Scott Earle,
HS0ZLW, G0SWG

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »
Yes, No.3 is the main issue, not only related to 6m.

On the list of approved equipment is stoneage technology. Nobody can or will afford an expensive type approval for any new equipment. So we are officially stuck with our 10y+ old boxes.

ASEAN is also not going to happen anytime soon, so what remains is what they call moonshine in the northern hemisphere :)
Marcus, Chiang Mai

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:25:55 AM »
So unfortunate that there are no clear announcements of the current status by RAST. Too many conventions, parties and funerals to attend to....

Offline HS0ZLW

• CW and Contest fan
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »
Yes, No.3 is the main issue, not only related to 6m.

On the list of approved equipment is stoneage technology. Nobody can or will afford an expensive type approval for any new equipment. So we are officially stuck with our 10y+ old boxes.

ASEAN is also not going to happen anytime soon, so what remains is what they call moonshine in the northern hemisphere :)
It's not just about the stone-aged equipment, it's mostly about how no manufacturer these days makes new HF sets without 6m capability, and NBTC will not approve any set with 6m on it.
Scott Earle,
HS0ZLW, G0SWG

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »
Assuming that 6m is now open, the issue is the general licensing procedure. You could eventually bring a new rig with 6m to the NBTC and they would be happy to do a type approval for you. For a small fee of 20k+. Who would be willing to spend such money for basically nothing?!

ASEAN should come into the game here with internationally accepted equipment as it is in Europe and elsewhere in the world. But this is not going to happen anytime soon. Too much at stake, not only for the big boys in Thailand.
Marcus, Chiang Mai

Offline HS0ZIA

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 06:43:43 AM »
Well I would be happy to spend the money to get K3s on the list. But AFAIK there are no assurances whatever that the NBTC would type approve them and in fact I doubt that they would even issue the import permits for them to begin with. Unfortunately the RAST remains silent on these issues (including even the requirement to get an import permit for antennas!) so who knows? We are left with only rumors and vulnerable to unwittingly committing a crime...

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »
You will not get an import permit if the equipment is not in their database. Thus meaning if it has already passed type approval. I've tried that with an FT920 as I wrote here earlier. Eventhough it is on the "RAST list". No chance, as they don't have it in their computer.

I spoke to the big boss in NBTC and he let them check it 3 times, could not find the FT920 in their list, so there was no way they would issue an import permit. It was suggested here in the forum, that the rig may have been approved "on paper" only earlier, but that did obviously not help.

The NBTC guy suggested then that I may import it "temporarily", which I did not follow up further as it was not really an option. But that may be the way to get a rig legally into the country for type approval. I guess after this it has to be brought out again, to fulfill the "temporary" BS, then reimported with an import permit to be issued based on the now existing type approval.
Marcus, Chiang Mai