Author Topic: 80m Band  (Read 1753 times)

Offline HS0ZIV

80m Band
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
I just read on the RAST web page (October meeting)
The RAST President also promised that there would be good news very soon regarding the 80-metre band with the NBTC reportedly about to announce an expansion from 3.5 - 3.54 MHz to 3.5 - 3.6 MHz, an expansion from 40 KHz to 100 KHz.
I Just wonder, as I downloaded in July 2014 the new bandplan (from RAST page!!!) and it already showed that extended QRG.
How does it come that after over 1 year later it is written on RAST page :
Expansion of 80 metre band imminent
73 Helmut
HS0ZIV

Offline HS0ZLW

• CW and Contest fan
Re: 80m Band
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »
I just read on the RAST web page (October meeting)
The RAST President also promised that there would be good news very soon regarding the 80-metre band with the NBTC reportedly about to announce an expansion from 3.5 - 3.54 MHz to 3.5 - 3.6 MHz, an expansion from 40 KHz to 100 KHz.
I Just wonder, as I downloaded in July 2014 the new bandplan (from RAST page!!!) and it already showed that extended QRG.
How does it come that after over 1 year later it is written on RAST page :
Expansion of 80 metre band imminent
73 Helmut
HS0ZIV

As you know, if you check the rest of that bandplan, you will see that we already have access to the 6m band, the 70cm band and a whole bunch of microwave bands. Also, the 2m band runs from 144.000MHz to 146.500MHz.

In theory.

On paper.

In reality, that bandplan to which you refer was released to the public in the Royal Gazette while the country was undergoing a military coup, and although it has not been officially rescinded, neither has it in fact taken effect. It's like a document in limbo.

The reason why this is possible, is that the NBTC (which is a part of the government, and so is currently under the control of the military junta) does not allow us to own radios that are capable of transmitting on those frequencies, and so if you do transmit "out of band" you can be prosecuted for owning an illegal radio transmitter.

(This is all in theory - I have not heard of any cases brought against anyone for doing this.)

There is a de facto embargo on the use of any frequencies not in the original (previous version of the) bandplan, despite the posting of the updated bandplan in the Royal Gazette last year.

The official NBTC document announcing the new regulations (in Thai, of course) is archived by RAST here : http://www.qsl.net/rast/NBTC_2014_regulations.pdf - there is no doubt that it is a legal announcement, it just seems like it has not taken effect yet :)

Best regards,

Scott, HS0ZLW and G0SWG

Scott Earle,
HS0ZLW, G0SWG

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »
If it's in the Royal Gazette (and endorsed by RAST for it's members by publication), it shall be legal.

That is for 80m as well as 2m where equipment can be legally purchased, licensed and used. Different story for 6m and other formerly non licensed bands.

So what other statement from RAST would one need?

Marcus, Chiang Mai
Y44RI / DL4AKB / 9V1AG / HS0ZLJ

Offline HS0ZIV

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »
Thanks Scott and Marcus for reply.  Good that I don't use 80m or 6m here, so I am not in trouble if it is allowed to use it or not, hi.
Was just wondering why there seems to be different satetements from NBTC and RAST.
73 Helmut
HS0ZIV

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 11:05:14 AM »
You can actually read the reasons behind that in the IARU region 3 report from RAST (thanks Karsten for the link).
http://iaru-r3.org/16th-triennial-conference-of-the-iaru-r3-documents/

Basically it says NBTC opened the bands and officially announced that in the royal gazette. Which then made the military very unhappy, as they were not asked and want to use particularly 6m as exclusive emergency band, contrary to international regulations.

Thus there is now a power struggle which will likely result in a "demotion" of NBTC and putting the frequency management in the hand of the military. Here is more to come. Going 1 step forward and then 2 backwards again.

RAST appears to be standing somewhere in the middle and does not want to say anything to not p*ss of either side.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:08:04 AM by DL4AKB (HS0ZLJ) »
Marcus, Chiang Mai

Offline HS0ZIL

• Life is too short for QRP!!
    • Moonbouncing
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:24:32 AM »
Good statement Marcus  ;)

Karsten
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:28:30 AM by HS0ZIL »
HS    EME#2
HS0Z EME#1
1st WAC 144MHz EME in HS

QTH: OK16bq

Offline HS0ZIV

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »
And now there is another question. If 6m is allowed or not allowed to use, AND if radios with 6m are forbidden, how can RAST make a 6m contest? I remember not a long time ago there was a RAST announcement on their webpage where you could  register for a 6m contest. Let's say 6m is allowed to use now (even it is only for a contest), how can I transmit there without a legal radio? And if I can't transmit how can the contesters do it? With ilegal radios or what?
Confusing Thailand !   ;)

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »
As Scott wrote earlier, there is no way to use 6m as there are no legal rigs in the country. Well, besides that mysterious FT920 NBTC could not find in their database.

What RAST is doing is confusing, at best. Besides the silence. There was however an exemption from NBTC. How they did handle the equipment I have no idea.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:50:51 PM by HS0ZLJ »
Marcus, Chiang Mai

Offline HS0ZLJ

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »

Good news for the rest of the world. The 2015 World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-15) has approved 60m on a secondary basis (5351.5-5366.5 kHz) for amateur radio.

Meaning soon the software toggle will be set on transceivers and they will carry 5MHz on their boxes. Which means even if Thailand ever agrees to allow current 6m enabled transceivers, we will never be able to use any modern equipment. That's the first new frequency allocation for amateur radio since 1979 (!).

http://qrznow.com/world-radiocommunication-conference-approves-global-60-meter-allocation/
Marcus, Chiang Mai

Offline HS0ZIV

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »
Markus,
super news. Means we are always at the end of the road in Thailand.  :-[
Until Thailand makes their own rules for new radios, the rest of the world is already 5 steps ahead again...