RAST Forum

Ham Radio Licenses in Thailand => Thai Ham Radio Exams => Topic started by: M0XDW on September 22, 2008, 08:09:09 AM

Title: Expat licencing question
Post by: M0XDW on September 22, 2008, 08:09:09 AM
 :) Hi all. A question for those of you with the knowledge  :)

I have a hypothetical question for you, lets take for example a foreigner living here in Pattaya, he has a retirement visa etc. and lives here permanently. This expat has no relatives abroad, lets just say for example that he is English.

I talk to him about ham radio and he's very interested, so interested in fact that he wishes to take the necessary exams and obtain a licence - how can he do this ?? or is it impossible without already possessing a full licence from his home country ??

The reason for the question arises from the possibility of presenting amateur radio to one of the expat groups here in Pattaya, if any of the members ask how they can get in to amateur radio then they'll need this answer!

TIA & 73's

Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: HS0ZFZ on September 22, 2008, 02:53:31 PM
Dear Dave,

that is a really paintful situation for some person who are waiting already over 7 years there are staying here permanetly too .... no chance to do it ..... well there is one - I think at the moment only one choice .... see below

1. US citizen - there will be a VE - Voluenteer Examination (planning in progress)
      http://rastforum.com/index.php?topic=68.0 (http://rastforum.com/index.php?topic=68.0)
    - Only passport holder form the USA can later on apply for the HS callsign ... The NTC request you have to be the same nationaly like the exam was .... then you can apply for the reciprocal stuff .... please contact Dr. Dave HS0ZDP for registeration - I hope you got it .... just in case ask me for further details ... All other can pass the exam to optain an US call but no way to apply for a reciprocal call in HS.

2. All others have to wait until the exam in HS will be opened again - I don't want to take the hope away but the HF exam is closed since around at least 5 year - last year in November 2007 the NTC opened the VHF examination (Thai Language) again ....

3. Take the exam of your home country (especially only Reciprocal Countries) then you are able to apply for the Reciprocal callsign ....

4. The Lucky Looser - Do not get me wrong .... You HAVE NO CHOICE .... NO US PASSPORT .. wait for item 2. or 3. anotherwise you will not get on air ....


Thailand has concluded Reciprocal Agreements with the following countries:
Luxembourg (info for Thais to get a LX call)

http://www.qsl.net/rast/text/Licensing08.html (http://www.qsl.net/rast/text/Licensing08.html)

73 de HS0ZFZ


A small story along that topic ... a guy he stays here for over 20 years he used to play HAM radio in his home country ...he move to Thailand in an age ~20 years old... that was 25 years go .... he force his wife to pass the exam that he can buy a VHF RIG ... to have a toy to play around (RX - offcourse!!) .... Onces his country signed the Reciprocal Agreement he got his callsign ... now he is on air almost every night long ......

Do you think this is an real story ?    ---- It is !!!!!

Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: M0XDW on September 22, 2008, 03:22:40 PM
Many thanks Swen, I had my suspicions that was going to be the answer  :'(

Perhaps Paul, Nathan and I could contact the RSGB on behalf of UK expats, as we are all full UK licence holders we are eligible to run courses and adjudicate exams etc.this might be a way for UK citizens to obtain licences.

So, in summary, US citizens have a means to obtain a licence, UK citizens *may* have the means by way of us UK full licence holders, other foreign nationals will have to return to their own country in order to obtain the licence ...... doesn't sound too good.

Thanks again for the info,

Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: paul on September 22, 2008, 03:47:30 PM
           PAUL HS0ZIN
Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: M0XDW on September 22, 2008, 03:54:06 PM
Yes, unless a course & examination was held here in Thailand - I know how the RSGB structures it's exams etc. and the basic workings/rules etc. so unless there is a compelling reason for the RSGB *not* to allow examinations in foreign countries then I can't see there being a problem .... the only qualification for instructors/invigilators is that they hold a FULL licence .....


Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: M0XDW on September 22, 2008, 04:05:57 PM
FYI:- here (http://www.rsgb.org/tutors/general/pdf/instructorapp.pdf) is the RCE application form to become an RCE registered instructor and here (http://www.commsfoundation.org/rce/pdf/conductofexamination.pdf) is the "Conduct of examinations" info.

Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: M0XDW on September 24, 2008, 03:59:31 AM

I've had a reply from the RSGB with regard to this. It would appear that the answer may be in the "International Amateur Radio Examination" which, if the Thai authorities are in agreement would enable expats here to qualify for an amateur radio licence enabling them to get on the air.

I have attached a copy of the PDF that the RSGB sent me for anyone who may be interested.

in addition the RSGB examinations supervisor said this:

In theory no reason why an UK ex pat or Thai national couldn
Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: HS0ZFZ on September 24, 2008, 09:15:53 AM
Dear Dave,

well I finally the RSGB has to allow you (VE - Volunteer Examintor) to set here an exam .... that's it! The CEPT documents coming from them and are officially .... well maybe it's the better way to inform them ... maybe they also could sent some officer to supervise it .... not take the risk that they will not accept the appplication later on ... - Well but I do not know about the progress .... to get them involved!

73 de HS0ZFZ


Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: M0XDW on September 24, 2008, 09:30:33 AM
Hi Swen,
     that is it exactly. The RSGB examinations officer has requested that I forward the callsigns and details of any UK ADVANCED licence holder who wishes to become an RSGB certified instructor, (Paul and I qualify as do several other UK hams that Paul knows), the examination rules are pretty straightforward, a room where the candidates can be seated in isolation away from other candidates and where the Two invigilators can monitor exam conditions etc. so there wouldn't be a problem in that respect.

Instruction and courses can be provided by any suitable Ham, only the examinations requires at least one RSGB certified instructor. The Syllabus is available online and can be downloaded for free from the RSGB website.

The examination papers are sent to the first named invigilator in a sealed pouch, only to be opened in front of the candidates at the start of the examination, once the papers have been completed they are returned to RSGB HQ back in the UK for marking, results are notified to the candidates directly.

To be honest the "International Amateur Radio Examination" seems the better option, allowing candidates to sit the examination without first having to get Foundation/Intermediate licences etc. thereby enabling a 'fast-track' to a suitable licence which qualifies the candidate for a reciprocal HS0Zxx call.


Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: M3KIS on October 07, 2011, 05:16:18 PM
All this happened in 2008! Did you ever start a course here in Thailand. If so could you give some updated info on how it went.
Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: HS0ZFZ on October 07, 2011, 07:01:29 PM

nothing happened!

What happened there are frequently ARRL (US) exams here in Thailand - with this licenses you could get your upgrade back in UK and then of course the licenses here in HS! HI HI!


Info's about the ARRL exams from E21EIC (http://www.e21eic.net/eic_USexam.php)

73 de HS0ZFZ


Title: Re: Expat licencing question
Post by: Russty on December 20, 2011, 12:49:09 PM
 Swen ( Or anyone else who would assist )  :)
  Can I ask whether in that case , if you were a Thai Nationalmliving here in example "Pattaya" you did not have a Thai Amateur licence at all , however on your travels overseas to US you obtained a "US amateur Licence" , can you in fact recipricate that licence without sitting and doing the Thai licence for HF ?
  Or would he need to sit the Licence to obtain HF priviledges ....
  Secondly apart from the above question , if a Thai national had a HF home staion what is the legal requirement as a foriegner operating his staion as a guess operator , is there any such restrictions ?